Vomiting Kitten

Fursure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never had a kitten. Now, I have a litter of strays. I am becoming very concerned, especially about one, the smallest. The best guesses are that the kittens are between 10-12 weeks. One was tested with the combo test-negative but I switched vets and the new one told me to wait on the others until 12 weeks, which could be as soon as now or possibly, next week, when they'll get their second dose of de-wormer.
They had a distemper vaccine and flea treatment. I do notive occasional coughing and sneezing but the vet listened to their lungs on more than one occasion, as I'm a neurotic kittten owner and we've spent a lot of time in the vet's office over the past two weeks.

The small one is only 2.5 lbs. To me, it seems as though she might have an upset stomach because she approaches the food like she wants to eat, then just takes a little. At times, she will eat more but the other problem is that one of htem has vomited a few times in the past week and I'm afraid it could be her but I have no evidence. Because they haen't been tested and I have older cats, they are isolated in small room downstairs, not big enough for me to sleep in. I got a baby monitor but it doesn't record, so I stayed up last night but this morning there was no vomit. Tonight, however, after they'd all eaten, I found more vomit-undigested food and clear liquid in one pile and undigested food in the other.

The other issue is that their stools smell VERY bad. I fed them different wet food once this week but switched right back, as they didn't seem to like it. Their stools have also been lighter in color and not well formed. THey are basically the color of hte wet food. I am feedin Pro Plan kitten chicken grain free and whole earth dry. I'm getting they weighed again tomorrow because I'm very worried about the little one. However, if I can't figure out who's actually vomiting, I can't get it treated. With the stools the way they are, I may need to seitch food or protein source. I don't know if I should have other blood work run on the little one, at least or try a different vet, or what. The other things is that we have raccoons in this area. I'm terrified of raccoon roundworm, which can cause these symptoms.

Another trip to some vet is imminent but I'm not sure what to ask for when I go.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At my vet, a fecal test is a routine part of the new-kitten check up. Hopefully that will provide some answers, since it's stomach related symptoms. Also, if it's something that's contagious, it could be more than just one kitten throwing up, and could get passed around anyway.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
2,5 lbs isnt so bad for a girl. Still, if your instincts tell you something is at fault, follow your instinct.

Can you get raw goats milk? If not, some nice probiotic may help.

Second deworming, perhaps with another preparate too is wise too, before you become desperate. (and yes, normally deworming is done at least twice, at 3 weeks inbetween - Im not talking about this.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fursure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had blood drawn on the little one and combo test was negative. Only finding was elevated eosoniphils, which vet said in kittens is often parasites. However, in house stool check was normal. Another sample is being sent out.
Meanwhile, everybody is temporarily on ID presrip diet. Started that yesterday and this afternoon somebody vomited food again. Little one isn’t gaining weight and nobody is rating enough, except for maybe the boggest kitten. I am becoming very concerned.