Visiting Cat Going Feral

Chestnut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my cat to my mother's house over Thanksgiving (out of state), and while there, she got outside and ran away. She's been gone for 3.5 weeks now. We have spotted her four times in the last week. I came back for Christmas, and I personally saw her on Saturday. She was sitting on a fence, looked at me a few times while I called her name for about 3 minutes, then got bored, jumped down and ran away.

It seems she has started to go feral! She is just under two years old. Does anyone know of any strategies I can use to catch her again? She has been around the neighborhood, but she seems to avoid my Mom's house because my Mom has her own cats, and she really dislikes them (they tolerated her, but she would always hiss at them if they came too close).

Also, can anyone recommend a tasty but very SMELLY individually packaged cat treat I might use as bait if I see her again? I thought about walking around the neighborhood with a can of tuna and a can opener, but that seems a little impractical. :lol:

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rotisserie chicken. Cats love it, and it's the best trap bait. Speaking of which, can you rent a Havahart trap? That would probably be the easiest way to catch her.

But individually packaged. . .hmm, maybe one of those foil packs of sardines or tuna? They can last a long time in your car/pocket/wherever without being opened, and you can quickly rip one open if you see her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chestnut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll stop by the pet store tomorrow. I saw her again today, but unfortunately did not have a snack on me! I ran back to the house to get some tuna, but when I came back she was gone. She did seem to be warming to me a little more, so I think I'll be able to nab her within the next few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chestnut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A neighbor was able to catch her this morning! She's back now. :yess:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful, I am so happy for you both. She may be nervous and scared for a while but soon will be back to her old self.