Virus Help Please-Kitten

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we just got a kitten 12 days ago (born 10/14) that came to us with a cold. Took it to the vet and they confirmed it was a virus (also gave it dewormer and it vaccines) they did a check up call and I let them know the kitten is not better. Made a call to another vet to let them know what was going on and they believed it was a virus as well. We are on day 12 and the cat now woke up with a goopy eye, still has a clear runny nose and sneezing. Is this normal to have a virus last this long and almost seems to now be getting worse as it moved into the eyes. We have 2 other cats so I am so worried about them! Right now they show now signs of being sick.

Oh and it is eating and drinking. Just maybe not as playful as other kittens I feel...maybe its personality, but worried it is because it is sick.

Sorry I do not know how to edit a post, so I keep adding stuff as I remember :D. I just checked inside his mouth and I see no sores and gums like good as well.

only one eye has discharge

We got this kitten 12 days ago and it came to us with a cold. vet calls a virus with no antibiotics. Today he wakes up like this.

Picture of good eyes on Friday & eye today.

Eye

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. While it may be a virus of sorts, many lead to a secondary bacterial infection. I would suggest asking the vet about treating your cat with an antibiotic to see if that clears up the eye discharge. Also, make sure you gently wipe off the discharge from his eye routinely. You probably should ask the vet what kind of virus they think is involved. At any rate, a lot of cats take supplements to help ward off flare ups from viruses such as herpes. I am not familiar with too many of them, but I do know a lot of members on this site give their cats l-lysine to help support their immune systems and reduce flare ups/complications from flare ups.

Hopefully some of those members will come along soon and offer some suggestions!

Btw, once you have been a member for 5 days and have 20 posts, you will be able to edit your posts for up to 2 hours afterward!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. While it may be a virus of sorts, many lead to a secondary bacterial infection. I would suggest asking the vet about treating your cat with an antibiotic to see if that clears up the eye discharge. Also, make sure you gently wipe off the discharge from his eye routinely. You probably should ask the vet what kind of virus they think is involved. At any rate, a lot of cats take supplements to help ward off flare ups from viruses such as herpes. I am not familiar with too many of them, but I do know a lot of members on this site give their cats l-lysine to help support their immune systems and reduce flare ups/complications from flare ups.

Hopefully some of those members will come along soon and offer some suggestions!

Btw, once you have been a member for 5 days and have 20 posts, you will be able to edit your posts for up to 2 hours afterward!!
Thank you!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for kitties in new environments to get a little upper respiratory infection 10-14 days after coming home. This is due to the stress of the new home, new sounds, new people, new things, new routine, and everything is just new and different. Kitties thrive on routine, so this is a big adjustment. If the discharge is clear, it should run it's course. If the discharge becomes yellow or green OR you notice any change in his eating, sleeping, or litter box habits, then that's cause for concern and he needs to get to the vet for meds.

I am a little bit concerned that it's not improved and it's been 12 days. I would give it a few more days and if he's not any better, call the vet back and let them know what's going on. You could be dealing with a secondary infection or the stress of the new home may have triggered a herpes flare up.

He's a handsome little boy, too!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That looks like a sick kitten. He may be needing some supportive care like fluids, vitamins and antibiotics. Even if it is viral, there can be secondary bacterial infections going on.
So, if your vet knows the kitten is this sick for this long and is not concerned, it may be time for a new vet.
Sick baby animals are always serious and need to be treated as such because they can easily become dehydrated.

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very common for kitties in new environments to get a little upper respiratory infection 10-14 days after coming home. This is due to the stress of the new home, new sounds, new people, new things, new routine, and everything is just new and different. Kitties thrive on routine, so this is a big adjustment. If the discharge is clear, it should run it's course. If the discharge becomes yellow or green OR you notice any change in his eating, sleeping, or litter box habits, then that's cause for concern and he needs to get to the vet for meds.

I am a little bit concerned that it's not improved and it's been 12 days. I would give it a few more days and if he's not any better, call the vet back and let them know what's going on. You could be dealing with a secondary infection or the stress of the new home may have triggered a herpes flare up.

He's a handsome little boy, too!
Thank you for the reply. I did not get the notice so I missed it!

We are on day 15 of bringing him home. His eye is getting better and his sneezing is not as much. BUT he is still sneezing & still has some eye issues. I have called the vet back 3 times and asked if he need antibotics. They told me he prob has the herpies virus and we just have to wait it out?! I did not go to my reg vet as mine was out. I was not impressed with this vet at all. They also wouldn't let me go back into the office with them due to covid protocal (insert eyeroll). So I was not in with them while she checked him over. She also tried to sell me a product the help with the virus. I asked what it was and if it had L-lysine in it and this is what she said...."No, It has SG...SG...I forget, but it has trials that say it helps". I acutally laughed out loud as I thought it was crazy that she was trying to sell me a $54 item that she had no idea what was in it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitten who, BTW, is absolutely precious! :lovecat3: What did you name him? I thought this TCS Article that discusses symptoms and treatment for Feline Herpes might have some helpful information for you:
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – TheCatSite Articles
If you did not trust the vet you saw definitely contact your regular vet who you mentioned was out of the office. Best of luck please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitten who, BTW, is absolutely precious! :lovecat3: What did you name him? I thought this TCS Article that discusses symptoms and treatment for Feline Herpes might have some helpful information for you:
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – TheCatSite Articles
If you did not trust the vet you saw definitely contact your regular vet who you mentioned was out of the office. Best of luck please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:
Thank you for posting! His name is Mosley. I am worried he got one of our other cats sick as his meow sounds different. ugh

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress can bring out a lot of different illnesses in kitties, upper respiratory infections and urinary tract infections are the 2 most common.

I would get to your regular vet for a check, especially since the vet you've been taking him to seems to not be doing more to help.

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stress can bring out a lot of different illnesses in kitties, upper respiratory infections and urinary tract infections are the 2 most common.

I would get to your regular vet for a check, especially since the vet you've been taking him to seems to not be doing more to help.
Got him to my regular vet after work yesterday and he is now on antibiotics!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Got him to my regular vet after work yesterday and he is now on antibiotics!
Glad your regular vet was more receptive and fingers crossed the antibiotics help Mosley. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated on him.

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad your regular vet was more receptive and fingers crossed the antibiotics help Mosley. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated on him.
Thank you :blush:. He was a little stinker this morning! We do not allow the cats in our bedroom and this morning I was showering and look down to see I had a visitor :lol:. Looks like a drown rat!

Attachments

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you :blush:. He was a little stinker this morning! We do not allow the cats in our bedroom and this morning I was showering and look down to see I had a visitor :lol:. Looks like a drown rat!
Oh wow! This picture was actually a little concerning until I read the post! Your kitten is absolutely gorgeous btw. Hope he feels better soon❤

Mosley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! This picture was actually a little concerning until I read the post! Your kitten is absolutely gorgeous btw. Hope he feels better soon❤
😀 after I posted the pics, I thought to myself I hope somebody doesn’t think he got sicker.
Got home from work and he is a wild man. He has been laying around a lot, but today he is nuts 😵💫😄

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is feeling great and totally hyper 🤪. Eyes look good and no sneezing so far this morning 🤞.
That's wonderful news and just what we like to hear. :thumbsup: He is absolutely gorgeous and now that he's feeling better you'll have to put in some serious play time with him. :lol: