Victor’s sick

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all
Victor (5 months old) has been crying a lot all day and he hasn’t eaten much if his dinner ( though he did eat a normal breakfast this morning) He just had a bout of diarhea and he’s lethargic. Normally he devours his food and is full of energy at this time of night. Also, he never cries. He was eating my spider plant earlier today and yesterday one if the cats at the shelter where I volunteer was sick. I washed my hands and used sanitizor after handling him but maybe I brought home a bug??I’m trying to decide it I should take him to urgent care or call his vet in the morning. What do you guys think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be the spider plant, although that is about the same as a cat eating grass. However, if Victor hasn't been exposed to anything like that before, it could be the culprit. I would keep an eye on him, see if you can get him to eat anything and make sure he is hydrated (children's unflavored Pedialyte is good for that). If he gets worse, such as vomiting, you might not wait until tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Victor has perked up a little. He seems playful and he ate about half of his dinner and he is drinking some water now. I think you may be right about the spider plant being the culprit. When I brought Victor home I hung my ivys and succulants out of his reach but since spider plants aren ‘t toxic I left my giant 15 year old spider on the porch. Victor likes to bat at the “baby”spiders and hide out in the plant while stalking birds in the back yard. He probably thinks he’s in the jungle lol!! Until recently he wasn’t eating a lot if it but today I think he nay have eaten an entire baby. Hopefully he just has an upset stomach but I will have him checked out tomorrow to he sure

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Victor has perked up a little. He seems playful and he ate about half of his dinner and he is drinking some water now. I think you may be right about the spider plant being the culprit. When I brought Victor home I hung my ivys and succulants out of his reach but since spider plants aren ‘t toxic I left my giant 15 year old spider on the porch. Victor likes to bat at the “baby”spiders and hide out in the plant while stalking birds in the back yard. He probably thinks he’s in the jungle lol!! Until recently he wasn’t eating a lot if it but today I think he nay have eaten an entire baby. Hopefully he just has an upset stomach but I will have him checked out tomorrow to he sure
Spider plants are not toxic but many are. Better to be safe

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Victor went in for a check and had no parasites or bacteria in his poop and exam was normal. He is back to his normal playful self and he ate his dinner as usual. The vet agrees it was probably an upset stomach due to eating the spider plant. He said spiders are generally safe for kitties but can cause GI upset if the cat eats it a lot. My spider is too big to hang out of Victor’s reach so it has been rehomed!