Vibes on day of fixing my babies!

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So tomorrow, finally we are getting our two furballs fixed!
Im so nervous, i dont want them to go under the knife

Truffles is over a year and her son Peeko is just a little over 5 monthsss

Please send some positive vibes for them that tomorrow will go perfectly!

Here are my two furballs:

Peeko at 3 months

Truffles

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, what pretty babies!

for all 3 of you...hopefully everything's going smoothly for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Post-fixing problems: we brought them home and put the cones on but ever since my momma cat has been anti social and barely comes out of my brothers bedroom, from under his bed. Her son is roaming around, eating, using the litter but shes barely doing any of that... We have to finger feed her wet food bcause she is barely eating... Is this just the shock of the surgery and hows shes taking it? Is this normal behavior? Im worried about her!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she still has the cone on, it could be upsetting her enough to discourage eating. This can be a serious problem; cats that don't eat for a fairly short time (just a few days) can crash from liver damage.

Check back with the vet to be sure she hasn't got an infection, and then see if others here have some more suggestions.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless she is messing with her incision take off the cone. Attitude didn't need one, I had one from when she had a corneal ulcer and I knew where it was but she didn't need to wear it.

Remove her cone and see if that helps her. If she starts overly licking or going after her incision put it back on but if she doesn't seem to care about the incision keep the cone off her. She might not need it. Attitude didn't want to eat with it and had trouble eating anyways since it got in her way. She was contained in a dog kennel outside when she had the ulcer(she was still an outside cat) and She wore it about a day before I finally had to remove it since she kept getting her front leg through it and she was going to seriously hurt herself.

I would remove the cone and see if that helps and if it doesn't then you need to possibly call your vet. I would also check her incision first to see if it looks infected or doesn't look right, if it does then you need to contact your vet anyways.

In my experience most cats don't need the collar post spay, they clean the area as normal but they don't overly mess with it. Post neuter might be a different story but Attitude could have cared less about hers. Like I said take it off and see if that helps her out and if she'll leave her incision alone, if she doesn't bother the incision she doesn't need the collar.

Also, did you give you any pain killers for her? If so it could be making her feel crummy as well. The vet sent the 'Tude home with a painkiller I had to give her twice a day for 3 days. She didn't seem to need it by day 2 but I gave it to her anyways as directed.

Taryn

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohh thank you for the advice!
the incision looks fine, its day 3 right now and she eats by herself a little bit but we still finger feed her sometimes..

How can i clarify between her cleaning it occasionally which is ok (right?) and her overlicking it .. to the point where its bad? Am i to stay with her at first to see if she goes directly to where the incision is and starts playing with it?

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, how can you tell if an incison is infected?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The incision will be red and may even be oozing if it's infected. I've seen the shelter have 5 done in a day and not one of them needed a collar or got infected. But we DO occasionally have one get infected. Boys, too.

Does she have stitches, staples, or glue?

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They both have stitches. They had complications with my boy so they had to make multiple incisions so he has 2-3 incisions, but the biggest one nearest his stomach area seems swollen and today we noticed redish brownish stuff near the incision which wasnt there yesterday... Could that be an infection?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might not be infection---it might just be drainage---but keep a very close eye on it. Call the vet if you have ANY concerns. Poor guy must have been cryptorchid. My cousin's kitty was and they had to cut him in 3 places to find both testicles. Normally a neuter is very simple (snip snip) but in this case it's just like a spay.

As for the mama cat, I've found that it's harder on females that have had litters in the past. She might be in more pain for a longer time. Our Sonja (according to the vet, she was 5 years old and had had "truckloads" of kittens, poor girl) wouldn't let anyone so much touch her for 3 entire days. If she doesn't eat somthing soon, though, call the vet.

I've never had a cat need a cone. If they try to pull the stitches out or pick at the incision, they might need it, but that's rare with cats, IME.

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! We just realized last night that the little guy can actually reach his bottom incision to lick it with the cone on!!! And when he does that The cone is pressing on the top one... I checked this morning and the top onee had kinda white discharge now and the bottom now has redish brownish stuff on it.. Wwe are calling the vet today!
Also he got multiple incisions because appartently only one of his testicles had decended, poor guy

so many problemssss!!