Vibes for Sophie on Spay-Day!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meekos cut was at east 3 inches also because she had a infection.
That pain med is good and will help.
Both my Meeko and Sasha were not messed up from the stuff the vet used on them.
The pupils of thier eyes were huge though when I got them.
The cats I had altered at others vets acted just like your cat is.
I hope she feels better.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our girls were wobbly too... but instead of trying to "walk it off," they became very loving and wanted nothing more than to be petted endlessly.

How's she doing today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been a rough one.

Sophie was FINE all last night. As she came out of the anesthesia, she wanted to play, even with her silly e-collar on (I've been calling it her sombrero), and aside from being a bit jumpy, was absolutely her normal self. I stayed awake with her all night, only lying down to catch some rest after giving her a 5:30am pain medicine dose.

My mother was checking on her throughout the morning today, as I caught a few hours' sleep. In fact, I didn't get much sleep because she kept waking me up, laughing at the little one's antics.

Right around 1:30, when I needed to get up for her next pain medicine dose, she suddenly grew very, very lethargic and was getting very warm to the touch. We took her to the vet, who discovered that she was running a fever of 106 F. I was worried about aspiration pneumonia because she's been making a lot of nasally noises and had a very brief period of wet-sounding coughs, but lung sounds and chest x-rays were both normal. Her fever was so out of control, though, that they actually ended up packing her in fresh snow to get her temp down. (The vet didn't want to go with steroids because her white cell count was actually a little on the low side). For awhile there, we thought we were going to have to take her to my vet's other location, 20 miles away, to be hospitalized overnight.

Thankfully, her temporary transformation into Frosty the Snowkitten brought her temperature all the way back down to normal, and so far it hasn't gone back up yet, so they let me bring her home, with strict instructions to check her temp every hour and monitor her carefully.

Now, after looking half-dead all day and putting me through hell, she's back on the floor attacking her octopus toy and aside from her e-collar and naked belly, looking like the healthiest cat that ever lived. I'm back to wondering how I'm going to keep her still!

Back to Kitten-Watch...thanks for all the concern and well-wishes! I'll keep y'all posted!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whew, what a scare. good job getting her back to the vet so fast. wish you took pics of her being packed in snow, how resourceful!

don't let her play too much. Fever and pain are natures way of keeping a body quiet so it can heal.

do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sophie's been fine since Tuesday...in fact, I'm having trouble keeping up with her! I can't leave her alone for a second, because one minute she's fast asleep, and the next, she's trying to scale the bookcases or perching precariously on the back of my office chair (nerve-wracking, considering she could trip on her e-collar and tumble). Her incision looks awesome, no redness or swelling at all. And she's been surprisingly tolerant of the e-collar. She tries to wiggle away when I put it on her, but once it's on, she leaves it alone totally. The flexible e-collars are wonderful. I've been taking it off when she heads for the litter box, because she tends to get kind of caught, and after she eats, so she can have a little bathing time (although that does mean sitting right next to her and watching her like a hawk, poised to interrupt as soon as she gets near her incision).

I still haven't gotten more than 3 hours of sleep at a time...now I know how new mothers feel.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... she looks so sleek, the beauty.

thanks for the happy update!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those're great pics and Sophie looks very comfortable. Yay!!!