Vibes for a king :(

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
14 years ago, my parents got a Keeshond. We named him King Kodie Bear. Kodie for short.

Kodie soon became "my" dog. He and I were so tight, so close, we did everything together.

About 11 years ago, my sister and I adopted another dog, Chance when my other dog, Duffy (Sheltie) died. Chance and Kodie got along very well, they loved each other! When my sister moved out, she took Chance with her and left Kodie with me.. but Chance began to have severe separation anxiety. She asked me if she could take Kodie with her.. it was a hard decision, but I finally decided to let her take Kodie to keep Chance company.

Chance was, unfortunately, PTS about 4 years ago. His separation anxiety got worse, he started destroying the house, himself, and bit anyone who came to the door to protect the kids. It wasn't Chance's fault, he was doing his job, protecting the girls and always breaking out of the house to find them. He was an excellent watch dog and protector.

Kodie continued to live with my sister, as he loved the girls and I had moved out of my parents' house anyway.

For the past week, Kodie was throwing up. No other symptoms, just throwing up. So my sister took him to the vet yesterday for blood work and checkup. The results came in today.. and it does not look good. I am not sure of the numbers, but the pancreas, kidneys and something else, the numbers were WAY too high.. the vet had never seen the count so high, she even consulted another office for second opinion.

She prescribed him diet food, gave him antibiotics, and pills to help settle his stomach. She said to give him a week and see if he still throws up.. we're hoping he stops, as throwing up causes him to lose nutrients and become severely dehydrated.. which means his organs will begin to shut down.

The vet gave him a few months to live. I told my sister to take extra special care of my baby boy and do not let him suffer.

Kodie is one of the best dogs I've had growing up. He was special to me for various reasons, and now he's approaching the end of his life span (10-14 years for Keeshond). I know he had a great life, and I hope he does not suffer.

Please, send vibes for my King.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's throwing up, you can give him pedialyte (in the baby section) instead of water and NutriCal for nutrients, I believe you can buy it at PetCo or PetSmart in the states. Do not give him anything with Asprin in it if he's having kidney problems, it's really hard on them. A good alternative is codeine at a low dose. 

My old dog had kidney problems that started when he was about 6 years old, he lived until he was 13. Don't bother with the low protein food, that has been debunked and most dogs don't like it much. It was a chore to get my dog to eat it and eventually we stopped even trying. He did much better on the regular food than the low protein anyways. If she can afford it, a raw diet would be best. Even if it's only fed as one meal and kibble as the other. 

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, it's always hard when our pets get older and, I've found, even harder when they were with us from childhood. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thank you. I am going to pass your information to my sister

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Even though he's had such a wonderful life, the pain of losing such a great friend isn't easy.  

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I went out this weekend to help my mom babysit my nieces for the weekend while my sister and her husband took a weekend trip.

I saw Kodie. I just broke down at the sight of him.. he had lost all the spark in his eyes, no more wag in his tail, and no more rolling on his back for a tummy rub.. he was very miserable and quiet. It broke my heart to see him so ill, it hurt so bad. It also hurt to see him refusing to eat all weekend. He was the type of dog that would eat your fingers with the food without second thought. Seeing him refuse food just nailed it for me.

It hurts so bad, knowing my baby Kodie is so sick and he'll be gone in matter of days.. I know it. He hasn't eaten a bite of chicken the entire weekend, he'd either sit in the corner or go outside and find a quiet comfortable spot and lay there for hours. It hurts so bad knowing that he knows his time is up and he's just biding his time.

When I left today to go home.. I sat with Kodie outside for a while, just held him in my lap, stroking him and talking to him. I told him that he can go, It's ok.. there's no need for him to hang on.. just go. I told him to say hi to Duffy, my beautiful sheltie.. give a hey to Chance and just go be with them. I had to be brave and not cry when I left him.. I did not want my nieces to see, so I played it fun when I said good bye to the girls. Once in my car.. came the waterworks. I asked God to take him quickly and painlessly.

Damn.. I am in tears again. I am going to miss my King Kodie Bear so much. He and I had a great 14 years of our lives together. He was there for me when I needed fur to snuggle, and I was there for him when he was sick.

I hate losing animals. I know it's circle of life.. but it's never, ever easy. I know any day, I am going to get that dreaded phone call.. but at least, I got to say goodbye to him one more time.

I will always remember the times I took him to the beach, just the two of us..

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My sister is taking him to the vet tonight. 

I am having a miserable time at work.. I want to be there for my sister, my nieces, and especially for Kodie.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. I hate to read post like this, they make me
.   I will keep you all in my prayers.

God Bless.  Sending big hugs!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your loss. It does sound as if Kodie was quite ready to join his canine buddies on the other side. RIP, Kodie, you were obviously a treasured family member and will be missed so much.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I created a board in the rainbow thread too