Vetenary assistant or a nurse aide

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What schooling would I need for this? I cannot follow a lecture,forget what I read, multi task, organize
Right now my job is cleaning at target because of the virus but if there is ever a vaccination, I'm afraid I will loose my job.. I used to work sales flioor, I cant even do cart wipes because of multitasking. I am doing something then forget about the other things I need to do. I am 49 yrs old. 5 more yrs and I can retire. This is making me very upset

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What schooling would I need for this? I cannot follow a lecture,forget what I read, multi task, organize
Right now my job is cleaning at target because of the virus but if there is ever a vaccination, I'm afraid I will loose my job.. I used to work sales flioor, I cant even do cart wipes because of multitasking. I am doing something then forget about the other things I need to do. I am 49 yrs old. 5 more yrs and I can retire. This is making me very upset
It is great that you are considering more schooling; however, both nurse aid and vet tech would require a lot of multi-tasking and organization, even if you could manage the lectures. Not to pry, but is there a reason you forget things? Is this a new issue? Have you spoken to your doctor or a therapist? You might be able to get some sort of work assistance if there is a diagnosable issue.

You say that you can retire in 5 years? At 54? Are you certain? If you are referring to Social Security, I am pretty sure the earliest age for retirement is 62. Do you have another retirement plan through Target?

Vet tech certification can take between 18 months and 2 years. A CNA certification varies by state. You are in Texas? In Texas, depending on the classes, it can take a few weeks to a few months; however, you must have 100 hours of training with 40 hours of hands-on clinical training. Are there any community colleges near you? They would be your best source of information.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both jobs require an enormous amount of multi-tasking. In many states there is a difference between a vet tech and a vet assistant, however both jobs require that you multi-task and can remember verbal and written instructions. I imagine nurse's aide would require the same if not more.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately both of those jobs require multitasking, organizing and the education for them would also include all the things you have difficulties with....
If I may, the jobs I can think of that fit your criteria, and wouldn't require additional schooling, would be somewhere in an "assembly line" type job, which is primarily just repetitive. Or a cashier, which means you pretty much only deal with the customer in front of you, and even if there is a distraction it would be difficult to forget what you're supposed to do.
Perhaps a cleaning job where you clean houses. Usually you are by yourself, and you can easily make a list of tasks to complete, and just check them off as you go...
Perhaps a call center...most of those places you just read off a teleprompter, and you're only having to deal with one client at a time.
Maybe there is a food service place that would be sensitive to your needs, and you could do early morning food prep...You would have a list of what needs to be chopped, shredded, etc...
Maybe this would be a good time to assemble what your skills, likes and talents are, and start a small side business...I know that requires some organizing but when it's on "your terms" and you create your own routine, it may be better suited for you.

I hope you find something you can enjoy doing...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first summer job was between high school and college as a nurse's aide in a nursing home. That is before they started a certification process. That is the hardest job I have ever done. We were always short staffed and it is physically demanding. It does involve multi-tasking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So college is out. I cannot do cashier. I ask how to do something then forget. My morning hours are limited because I take meds 8am and 8pm. I could take them to work but the reason I have a pill box with a timer is I forget to take them. I can do most of the requirements in retail but I am too slow

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is great that you are considering more schooling; however, both nurse aid and vet tech would require a lot of multi-tasking and organization, even if you could manage the lectures. Not to pry, but is there a reason you forget things? Is this a new issue? Have you spoken to your doctor or a therapist? You might be able to get some sort of work assistance if there is a diagnosable issue.

You say that you can retire in 5 years? At 54? Are you certain? If you are referring to Social Security, I am pretty sure the earliest age for retirement is 62. Do you have another retirement plan through Target?

Vet tech certification can take between 18 months and 2 years. A CNA certification varies by state. You are in Texas? In Texas, depending on the classes, it can take a few weeks to a few months; however, you must have 100 hours of training with 40 hours of hands-on clinical training. Are there any community colleges near you? They would be your best source of information.
My dad said 55 so 5 yrs 7 months

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Retail places always need janitorial staff so if that is what you are currently doing you're probably safe. You could check at hospitals, schools, nursing homes, etc. as they are also places that need janitorial staff.

If you absolutely cannot multitask or deal with organizing things then factory work is another job you might be able to do. I worked at an injection molding plant when I was younger and it was the easiest, most mind-numbing job I've ever done. Literally all I did for the whole shift was put blank parts in a tray, put the tray in the molding machine, then push a button to start the cycle. After the cycle was done the tray popped out and I removed the newly coated parts and put them in a bin, then started the next tray.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure about that, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 You can collect Social Security as early as age 62, but your benefits will be permanently reduced. They will not increase to what they would have been if you waited until 70 to retire.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a diagnosed disability you should be able to get supportive employment services through your state. It may be contracted with a non-profit; but they can be very helpful finding a situation that works for you. I worked for a non-profit that did this and we had clients who needed positions in both competitive and noncompetitive (or sheltered) work settings. They can also help you succeed in the job you find and advocate for you if you need accomodations. Some can set up job shadowing opportunities for you to try out things that interest you too.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure about that, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 You can collect Social Security as early as age 62, but your benefits will be permanently reduced. They will not increase to what they would have been if you waited until 70 to retire.
Oh! Thanks for clarifying that. I knew the full retirement age is 70, but I must have misread something to make me think it would increase over time. (Maybe the "working while collecting" aspect of it.) So if you retire and collect SS at 62, you only get 70% of what would have been your full amount, or something along those lines, and it stays that way. Correct?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever the payment you first receive is the payment you will continue to receive.

Collect sooner, receive smaller payments for (presumably) longer. Collect later, receive larger payments for (presumably) shorter time.

It's a difficult decision. How is your health / is your family generally long lived / do you enjoy your work / will social security go broke.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you on any SSI or disability at all? If not, I think you could qualify, if your memory problems are that limiting.

Wow, it would be awesome to get retirement pay at age 55. But, alas, not any more. If you work at certain jobs for 30 years, you can retire at 55-57, but those kinds of jobs aren't common nowadays.

For people with memory issues, cleaning is probably the best, because you can look at a list while cleaning, and it doesn't really matter what order you do it in. And there are lots of places that need cleaning, so there are always jobs.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, your dad is wrong about the age of retirement, if he is talking about Social Security benefits. The earliest one can collect SS for retirement is 62. Full retirement age is 70, so, if you collect before the age of 70, you will get a reduced amount until you reach 70.

Benefits Planner: Retirement | Retirement Age and Benefit Reduction | SSA
My dad said 55 so 5 yrs 7 months
You are correct. My family is well off

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am under the ADA. No SSI. My dad had a stroke so my mom would have to pull out all the records on me and go in my lock box at the bank for proof. Too much for her to do on her own. She's almost 80. It seems like I'm stuck with being a cleaner. I used to work in clothes and shoes and do pricing,frieght,and blackstock. I have cognitive disabilities from a brain tumor so I was not born with it. Happened when I was seven.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am under the ADA. No SSI. My dad had a stroke so my mom would have to pull out all the records on me and go in my lock box at the bank for proof. Too much for her to do on her own. She's almost 80. It seems like I'm stuck with being a cleaner. I used to work in clothes and shoes and do pricing,frieght,and blackstock. I have cognitive disabilities from a brain tumor so I was not born with it. Happened when I was seven.
Do you live on your own? Are you claimed as a dependent? Do you pay for most of your stuff and living expenses? If so, you could be eligible for SSI or even SSDI. It may be possible to get SSDI as long as you make under $1,180 a month. It might be worth a look, if you are not claimed as your parent's dependent.

You can ask your mother is she knows anything about a possible trust fund or something. If your father has one for you, she would likely know something about it. Do they have an accountant, finance manager, or lawyer who is in charge of those things?

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
im 47 years old and disabled now but used to work in the fast food industry years ago. im sorry that you are having a rough time though