Vet won’t spay my cat

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has herpes. She has a constant runny eye. Been trying to clear it up with lysine, no progress. My cat’s in heat now. Vet won’t spay her due to the risk of getting other cats at the clinic sick (it’s a spay and neuter clinic so lots of dogs and cats around at the same time). My cat lives outdoors. Dad absolutely forbids me to bring her indoors. If I lock her into a crate, she’ll only get more stressed and make her symptoms worse and therefore never get better. Therefore my cat is going to get pregnant. I have an appointment this week to hopefully get some famvir (or whatever it’s called) prescribed, but I’m worried because I read that it shouldn’t be used with pregnant or breastfeeding animals (and she is currently also still feeding a kitten I kept from her previous litter because she couldn’t get spayed that time either). I can’t go to another vet because this vet is the only place that can do it for free for me and other places are super expensive (called around and asked for prices already. It’s extremely expensive for me to go to another vet). I’m super upset about the situation. I really didn’t want her to get pregnant again but there is no way around it now. Hopefully this week the vet can prescribe some safe medicine to help her eye stop being runny and I can get her spayed after she has her next litter.

I know the vet has a legit point about not spaying her due to the risk of getting other cats sick, but why wouldn’t it be possible to just keep her in a separate room or something? How do vets get feral cats spayed if they come in with herpes?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet is worried about spreading herpes, find a new vet or file a complaint with management of the facility. Herpes is spread through siliva and discharge. The only way your cat would spread it to another cat is if they aren't sterilizing their working surface or tools between cats. Also if they aren't sterilizing the recovery area between cats. Whatever way you cut it, the vet is worried because they know they aren't operating in a clean environment. While cat surgery and clinics can be more haphazard then a human surgery, there should still be a basic level of cleanliness that would prevent transferring diseases between cats. Using disposable pads under the surgery, changing gloves and aprons between, rotating between tools that are sanitized. There are options that only minimally impact turn around time between patients. I've even seen one where the vet was between two tables; did one table, change PPE, turned around and did the other table. Meanwhile, an assistant would take away the last one, clean and prep the next one. Clean and efficient. There are also numerous resources for vets on how to prevent disease transmission between patients.

Basically, a vet who is flat out refusing to spay a cat with herpes isn't confident in their cleanliness protocol to protect their patients and I don't trust them. Additionally, herpes is incredibly common in cats and has a vaccine. Chances are, other cats going through there already have it or are vaccinated. IMO, if your cat has an active infection it might be better to wait for her benefit but if it is a lingering weepy eye from a past flair then there is no reason to wait and risk another pregnancy.

Are there no other clinics in your area? Can you share rough area to see if anyone else knows of options in your area?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input everyone. I just sat down and started digging for more places that can do it for low cost and I found a few possible options. It won’t be free, but it would still be cheaper than going to a regular vet. I called one place to ask about the herpes situation, but they said the doctor that can answer that question won’t come in until tomorrow. The other places I found aren’t open for about 30 more minutes so I need to wait before I can call them and ask.

Question though, how do I file a complaint with this clinic? They are government sponsored (which is how it’s possible for them to have such low costs) and the largest spay and neuter clinic in my state. Based on previous experiences and conversations, I highly doubt that simply emailing them or calling them will do anything. But I want to do something about this situation because now that Kieka Kieka has explained it, it DOES sound a bit sketchy.

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know, now that I think back on this… somehow this slipped my mind when I was first making this post. The first cat that I got spayed with this clinic came home with her breast already infected. I thought it was just an unlucky situation, but because of this situation with my herpes cat, I’m not so sure if it was so random anymore. My male cat got neutered there with no issues, but I don’t know how much I trust them anymore given that they refuse my herpes cat plus got my first cat infected.

And update on the other clinics I called, one place required a regular appointment plus consultation before they will spay a cat, which I guess isn’t a bad thing but I can’t wait around a few weeks for appointments because my cat will already be pregnant by then. Another clinic is scheduled out to December, so that doesn’t work either. I’m gonna try calling a few places that are a bit farther out. Maybe I can get something scheduled asap even if it required a longer drive.

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks fionasmom fionasmom I filed a complaint and hopefully something comes out of it.

I have a follow up question. I’ve been calling vets and either they are super expensive, or if they are low cost they don’t have any availabilities for the next 4 weeks. My cat is not in heat anymore and I’m pretty sure she’s pregnant now. I’m wondering how far along she can be pregnant before it becomes a bad idea to spay her/abort the babies. Ive heard it can be very difficult for the mom cat emotionally/psychologically if you abort her babies. I don’t want to wait 4 weeks, but I’m wondering what is the latest I can wait until it will be bad for her, in case I can still find a place that can spay her this week.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If I am reading your calculations correctly, on this last Monday you thought that the cat was in heat. So the pregnancy would just have started, I assume. Cat pregnancies are about 65 days, and usually an early to mid term pregnancy makes the cat eligible for a spay/abort. Keep calling around; ask even the vets who cannot see you right now how far along they will do the procedure.

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I am reading your calculations correctly, on this last Monday you thought that the cat was in heat. So the pregnancy would just have started, I assume. Cat pregnancies are about 65 days, and usually an early to mid term pregnancy makes the cat eligible for a spay/abort. Keep calling around; ask even the vets who cannot see you right now how far along they will do the procedure.
But how far along is too late regarding my cats emotional health (if that’s the right way to say it)? I don’t want her to get depressed because she lost her babies, which is why I don’t want to wait too long. And I do know that animals do get affected if you abort their babies after a certain point, I just don’t want that to happen to her. So I’m just wondering what is the latest that is reasonable in case I can’t find a vet that can do it within a week

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have read that there may be hormonal imbalances which may cause some depression in cats who lose a litter, but am not sure if that is exact or not. It could be. In my case, working with TNR and ferals, I have trapped pregnant females and, providing that the vet said it was okay to proceed, gone ahead with the spay abort. In the case of the last two, they seemed fine and lived outside as TNRed ferals for a long time.

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read that there may be hormonal imbalances which may cause some depression in cats who lose a litter, but am not sure if that is exact or not. It could be. In my case, working with TNR and ferals, I have trapped pregnant females and, providing that the vet said it was okay to proceed, gone ahead with the spay abort. In the case of the last two, they seemed fine and lived outside as TNRed ferals for a long time.
Okay i see. My cat was very depressed when I rehomed her kittens and I don’t want her to go through that again by aborting babies that are already a few weeks old. I guess I’ll just keep calling around and see if anyone else that is affordable has any openings this week, otherwise I’d rather wait to spay her till after she gives birth

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet won't spay Blue. She said Blue most likely has brain damage caused by being abandoned by Mother, out in elements in MN July for about a month. Landed in our yard with full body twitching; went through high fever twice and seizures. Vet said that kittens are put under for surgery with an injection that affects their brain. She thinks Blue probably has some brain damage and putting her under for surgery could be dangerous for her. Our plan is to never let her outside again but accidents happen. While we don't want her to get pregnant our biggest concern is that spaying eliminates her risk of cancer of female organs. We think she's probably 6 months old now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All I can think is for you to get a second opinion on Blue, if that is possible in your area. The vet is not incorrect depending on the degree of neurological injury that Blue has, but it might be a matter of degree. I would not approach a low cost spay/neuter or rescue in her case, as you need a bona fide medical opinion. You might need to ask about options for anesthesia, possible complications, etc.

Neutering A Cat With Brain Damage