Vet Said My Cat Was Pregnant But She Isn't

Bmaggard88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! We adopted a young cat from animal shelter she was around 6 months old less than a week later I took her in for shots and check up and to schedule spay, they told me she was pregnant and going to give birth within a week they even did an ultrasound said they saw 2 and saw the spines, This was over a month ago and a couple days ago she went into heat and started spraying in the house!! she never showed any signs of being pregnant to me but idk she has NEVER been outside or around any other cat since I've had her... I can't get her spayed until atleast the middle of April do u think the vet tried to defraud me they wand me to schedule her for a pregnant spay which I couldn't afford...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you actually see the kittens on the ultrasound yourself? Most shelters won't adopt out cats until they have been spayed and neutered. It's quite unusual that they would let you take an intact kitten, particularly one that had been around an intact tom cat.

I think you should try another vet. There should be some low cost spay and neuter clinics in your area. Try doing a Google search.

A pregnant spay shouldn't cost any more than a regular spay does. I do TNR and have taken in several pregnant feral cats to be fixed. Never cost me any more than a regular spay, but maybe that's usual in the US?

Some of our other advisers will be online soon, they'll know.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you go to a different vet? She doesn't look pregnant to me, but I'm not an expert.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If we believe them, it means she delivered them without you noticing anything, probably premature and dead or dying, and she did ate up them. Or hid them somewhere you didnt find the bodies. This way you wouldnt notice anyting save perhaps a wet spot... This isnt that common but surely happens now and then.

They do so naturally, they dont want ants or predators coming to their nest, and threating the kittens still alive.

Spaying when preg isnt nice, but sometimes its the least bad solution yes. Technically its not that difficult, probably easier than spaying when they are in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bmaggard88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you actually see the kittens on the ultrasound yourself? Most shelters won't adopt out cats until they have been spayed and neutered. It's quite unusual that they would let you take an intact kitten, particularly one that had been around an intact tom cat.

I think you should try another vet. There should be some low cost spay and neuter clinics in your area. Try doing a Google search.

A pregnant spay shouldn't cost any more than a regular spay does. I do TNR and have taken in several pregnant feral cats to be fixed. Never cost me any more than a regular spay, but maybe that's usual in the US?

Some of our other advisers will be online soon, they'll know.
No, they took her back for the ultrasound n brought her back w the jelly still on her belly. I plan on getting her spayed ASAP I applied for the low cost voucher and they will mail it to me within 30days then I will still have to wait for an appointment that shouldn't be long at all though but still looking at a couple weeks total..

Bmaggard88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If we believe them, it means she delivered them without you noticing anything, probably premature and dead or dying, and she did ate up them. Or hid them somewhere you didnt find the bodies. This way you wouldnt notice anyting save perhaps a wet spot... This isnt that common but surely happens now and then.

They do so naturally, they dont want ants or predators coming to their nest, and threating the kittens still alive.

Spaying when preg isnt nice, but sometimes its the least bad solution yes. Technically its not that difficult, probably easier than spaying when they are in heat.
I considered it because Lord knows I don't have the know how or money to take on a litter of kittens I'm still very new and learning with her. We got her for my disabled son and it really has done wonders for him.. I just feel in over my head lol

Bmaggard88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will she stop spraying in the house after she is spayed? That is my only issue with her I love her to death but I have to find a solution to her marking

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will stop once you get her spayed. Also, make sure she gets some canned food every day and not too much dry food.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep her indoors and get her spayed as soon as you have the voucher and an appointment. She doesn't look like she is pregnant now. If she's in heat and spraying waiting until her heat cycle is over will make the spay a bit easier. They tend to bleed more of you spay when they are in heat, but it's not impossible to do.

Yes, getting her spayed usually stops the spraying. You can clean up the places she sprayed with an enzyme cleaner. Actually I heard a scoop of Tide detergent in a spray bottle works pretty well too.

Cats on heat turn into cunning little escape artists, so make sure she doesn't make a dash for freedom while she's in heat.

She looks like she gets on really well with your son. They're so sweet together!