Vet Doesn't Want To Neuter Cat Yet??

MaxieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My 7 month old cat Maxie (indoor only) recently started to hump blankets and pillows. We took it as a sign that he is becoming sexually mature and wanted to get him fixed. Our vet said that they only fix cats when they reach 1 year of age. We are worried that he will start spraying everywhere in the house. Should we wait till he's 1yr or do we get him fixed at another vet place??

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MaxieTheCat MaxieTheCat - I agree with willowy. Unless your kitten is both underweight and severely brachycephalic, I can't imagine a reason to refuse a neuter surgery at seven months. I would, likewise, suggest placing a call to another veterinarian.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something that's more of a concern with male dogs. They need the hormones to grow properly and the hormones tell their bones when to stop growing and fuse together. Postponing can help prevent arthritis and hip dysplasia later in life. There are other benefits too, but I've never heard of anyone really caring about that concerning cats. I only hear that about dogs.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's strange. My kitten was neutered at 12 weeks. o_O
Maybe try a different vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound strange. Usually they have you wait until 6 months, not a year old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something that's more of a concern with male dogs. They need the hormones to grow properly and the hormones tell their bones when to stop growing and fuse together. Postponing can help prevent arthritis and hip dysplasia later in life. There are other benefits too, but I've never heard of anyone really caring about that concerning cats. I only hear that about dogs.
Yeah. I think some vets are reading the material about dogs and extrapolating that to cats. Let's all say it loudly: CATS ARE NOT SMALL DOGS!!! Some vets seem to have a hard time with that concept :/.