Very worried about my cat (6 years old, female, indoor domestic shorthair)

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for any help and advice I can get. I took my cat (female shorthair in North America about 6 years old) to the animal hospital last night because she started being more lethargic, hiding from me and licking her lips constantly after nibbling on some small flowers around the house (indoor only). I had the ASPCA poison control people identify the flowers and they told me they weren't toxic but could upset a cat's stomach.

After running vitals and getting bloodwork done, the vet said my cat seemed perfectly fine based on those diagnostics and that she very likely just had an irritated stomach and was feeling uncomfortable walking around.

I've continued to try and keep her hydrated by mixing water with wet food, giving her tuna broth with water, etc., and she's eating those things when I put them in front of her. She's not eating her dry food quite as much right now, but she has eaten some of it the past couple of days. I've just started putting a little bit of pure pumpkin into her food in case she's just constipated.

On Wednesday morning (now 3 days ago), she pooped in her litter box almost immediately after nibbling on the aforementioned flowers. Since then, she's only urinated once or twice and hasn't pooped at all as far as I can tell. Additionally, she's normally a very social and energetic cat, but she's been mostly sitting around and looks weak or uncomfortable as she walks around. She isn't hiding from us, but she does slowly walk around and then plop on the floor because she looks too tired/uncomfortable to move.

Other than that, she's had no vomiting or anything to that effect, which is why it's so puzzling since she's eating and drinking and the waste is seemingly disappearing into thin air. I'm starting to wonder if she has a stomach blockage or something more serious, but I figured she'd had vomited by now if she did.

I'm at a total loss for what to do to help her or how long this might go on if it is just an upset stomach, so I appreciate any help or advice you can offer. I just want her to feel OK again and get back to her normal self as soon as possible.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would first put the flowers out of her reach. Licking the lips points to nausea, whether BEFORE eating the flowers and trying to make it better, or after, is unknown. If you remove the flowers, observe her and see if she still licks her lips, then you will know if she is nauseous. Then get some Delectable Lickable treat in the stew flavors or some other lickable treat to see if she will eat. I don't know if she's not pooping because of not eating, or she is constipated. Her movements do point towards constipation if she hasn't gone. I would call your vet and see if you can give 1/4 tsp Miralax in a tiny amount of treat or a beaten egg yolk. Good luck, I hope time brings about healing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would first put the flowers out of her reach. Licking the lips points to nausea, whether BEFORE eating the flowers and trying to make it better, or after, is unknown. If you remove the flowers, observe her and see if she still licks her lips, then you will know if she is nauseous. Then get some Delectable Lickable treat in the stew flavors or some other lickable treat to see if she will eat. I don't know if she's not pooping because of not eating, or she is constipated. Her movements do point towards constipation if she hasn't gone. I would call your vet and see if you can give 1/4 tsp Miralax in a tiny amount of treat or a beaten egg yolk. Good luck, I hope time brings about healing!
Thanks for your response. She's not really licking her lips too much anymore, and she's eating both wet and dry food sporadically, which signals to me she's not nauseous like she was before. The flowers were tossed immediately after I noticed her nibbling on them and licking her lips, so she hasn't been eating more of them.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she today?
Thanks for asking! Took her to the vet yesterday, and they ran a couple of x-rays that showed she was completely backed up because she hadn't defacated. They believe it was because whatever she ate inflamed her GI tract.

They completed an enema and gave me an appetite enhancer, nausea pills and abdominal discomfort meds to give her over the next couple of days. Basically, they want to have her keep eating high-fiber food to keep things moving inside her.

Thankfully, she pooped in her litter box for the first time in days this morning. I'm still worried because she remains lethargic and really just not herself, but I'm hopeful that by continuing to give her high-fiber foods that she'll start feeling better. If she doesn't user her litter box again tomorrow, I may need to take her back for another look though. This whole thing is heart-breaking.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the name of the flowers?
It's really tough to know exactly what they were, but I believe they were some type of solidago goldenrod (not the poisonous rayless goldenrod). Other types of goldenrod are supposedly toxic, but this type was expected just to irritate her stomach based on what the ASPCA told me.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess what I am wondering is how the ASPCA knew what kind of flowers it is.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as she's improving that's the main thing, and hopefully in a short time you'll both be able to look back on this as a strange sidetracked event.
Crossing my fingers. She still seems really out of it and is spending a lot of her time in her bed, but it's hard to know if that's from the meds, her still having an upset tummy, or something being really wrong with her.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess what I am wondering is how the ASPCA knew what kind of flowers it is.
We sent them a picture of the flower and let them know where they were purchased, and they confirmed what we believed it to be.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on our sweet kitty. She spent two nights in the hospital getting repeated enemas, fluids and examinations because X-rays showed she was full of poop and wasn't using the litter box to get rid of it.

The vets were able to effectively clean her out and put her on a mix of probiotics, miralax and prescription stool softener to help her along for a bit. She's now back home and has slept for an entire day after her traumatic experience at the vet. She's been eating a little bit, and I can tell she's definitely happier to be home.

She's still very lethargic, anti-social and withdrawn (she's normally the most social, loving cat ever), however, and I haven't seen her poop once in the last 24 hours despite continuing to eat and getting her meds. I'm going to give it the weekend to see if she improves, but I'm running out of ideas of what might be wrong with her. The vet mentioned potential neurological issues but said it was unlikely because she wasn't appearing dizzy, falling over, etc., but I'm starting to worry it is something more serious than just a digestion issue.

Do you guys think giving her a couple days after her extended vet to monitor her further and then taking her to her normal vet early next week (she was at an ER clinic before, not her primary vet) is the right approach?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Seeing your regular vet is a good idea as ER vets only provide limited care in emergency situations. They aren't expected to make diagnoses really, but to stabilize and support the animal until it can be taken to a regular vet. Depending on time frame of when she was cleaned out, she may not poop for a couple of days or so, but watch for signs of discomfort or other distress. If the vet suspects neurological issues, you need a regular vet or a neurologist.

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seeing your regular vet is a good idea as ER vets only provide limited care in emergency situations. They aren't expected to make diagnoses really, but to stabilize and support the animal until it can be taken to a regular vet. Depending on time frame of when she was cleaned out, she may not poop for a couple of days or so, but watch for signs of discomfort or other distress. If the vet suspects neurological issues, you need a regular vet or a neurologist.
Definitely a good point. I guess this place qualifies as a 24/7 animal hospital with ER capabilities, so she wasn't really seen in the ER so much as she was taken care of by a rotating set of vets and vet assistants over the course of two days while she was receiving inpatient care there.

I think I'll give her the weekend to see if she makes any progress but will plan on taking her to her primary care vet if she's still not using the litter box or showing signs of increased energy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a popular arrangement for ERs out here as well. They have a staff of vets but can also run a 24/7 ER. But someone has to take responsibility for helping your kitten as a primary vet.