Very Thorough Litterer

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my almost 5 year old female last October, they'd warned me she is thorough in covering her 'creations' in the litter box. They suggested a high-sided box and, after just one day with the box I'd prepared before adoption, I got one with high-sides. I also put it on a litter mat to help remove litter from her feet before walking on the laminate wood floor.

Ummm...she is VERY thorough. So much litter was still ending up outside the box that I got a tray to put the box on. [Think like a boot tray, but much larger.] Then I got a small whisk broom with pan to sweep from the tray daily to help avoid tracking.

The clumps are almost always in the corners, generally the ones by the box entrance. She is a medium-sized cat, NOT huge; somewhat overweight at 13 lbs, vs. the 10 she should be. So, it isn't like she is crowded in the box.

I suppose I should be grateful that she uses the box and has not gone outside of it. [I scoop twice a day and clean every 3-4 weeks.]

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumps in the corners can be tough to get at. Using a no stick litter like Slide helps, or you can line the litterbox with a puppy pad as I do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Big Guy is an enthusiastic litter flinger LOL, but in his case when he's done, he's done.
Say, I wanted to mention that if you like, you could try adding some raw (or cutting back on the kibble a little bit, or both). I just add in a couple nuggets of a store bought frozen raw to his regular wet food - he lost weight, and I've read that most cats seem to.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i have a cat that covers very well too :) i have even caught him covering while another cat is still going... helpful..lol
i found with him the biggest box i can get, long and wide, helps. also i dont use as much litter. maybe two inches and then i just change the box weekly instead of trying to keep it deeper and change less often. Helps with him. and the slide litter may help as well. I use a grass litter and it slides, works great for corner cats :)

I also have a few small whisk brooms at the litter boxes :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s a thread that has some helpful suggestions about the “litter flinging”: Not Your Typical Litter Box Issue
Thank you. I will try moving the litter toward the middle and see if that works.

I don't really have a problem with the corners--the box is rounded a little and I got a scoop with curved 'corners'.

I'd go the covered route, but she dislikes being enclosed too much. She was at the shelters too long and really hated the cages. I am only just getting her to trust running through one of the toy tunnels and she is cautious about that. Don't think I'll push my luck with a covered box. [You'd laugh at the set up in my kitchen corner--box on tray on litter mat surrounded by a shower curtain liner on a corner rod hanging at about 3 feet. The kitchen was the only reasonable place for the box.] We can both deal with the current set up.