Very pregnant rescue cat with only half a tongue

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I received another pregnant rescue cat on Thursday night. She's in very rough shape. She is missing the front half of her tongue. So she can't groom herself. This lead to her pulling big hunks of fur out with her teeth. She's very underweight. She now seems to have some upper respiratory stuff going on. I'm hoping she doesn't deliver for at least a week so she can put on some weight. By x-ray there seems to be a lot of babies

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I received another pregnant rescue cat on Thursday night. She's in very rough shape. She is missing the front half of her tongue. So she can't groom herself. This lead to her pulling big hunks of fur out with her teeth. She's very underweight. She now seems to have some upper respiratory stuff going on. I'm hoping she doesn't deliver for at least a week so she can put on some weight. By x-ray there seems to be a lot of babies
FB_IMG_1617400823969.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are a saint, that is all I can say. What must be going through her mind wondering how she found a safe place finally after whatever happened to her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
For as much as I deal only with ferals, I have never had direct experience with a pregnant mother for whom I had to care. It has always been a matter of finding a litter, with or without a mother accompanying, so I am not well versed in actual pregnancy.

I have always been told that you count heads and spines and try to come up with a matching number. I am going to say upwards of 5, maybe more like 7? Someone should come along who is quite experienced in this. Furballsmom Furballsmom Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The correct way to x-ray a pregnant cat is an x-ray on each side to get both horns, but it does look like at least six. It also sounds like she needs an antibiotic. Can the rescue you work with treat for a respiratory infection? Also, their vet should be able to say how many kittens from the x-ray.

Since she’s not able to groom well, try brushing her if she’ll let you. You may need to clean her bottom as well. You also may need to help open kitten sacs and clean the kittens when they are born and pinch and tie off cords. These are things mom does with her teeth and tongue, so you need to have cloths ready, as well as dental floss to tie off cords.

Is she eating well and pooping normally?

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The correct way to x-ray a pregnant cat is an x-ray on each side to get both horns, but it does look like at least six. It also sounds like she needs an antibiotic. Can the rescue you work with treat for a respiratory infection? Also, their vet should be able to say how many kittens from the x-ray.

Since she’s not able to groom well, try brushing her if she’ll let you. You may need to clean her bottom as well. You also may need to help open kitten sacs and clean the kittens when they are born and pinch and tie off cords. These are things mom does with her teeth and tongue, so you need to have cloths ready, as well as dental floss to tie off cords.

Is she eating well and pooping normally?
Thank you for your response. She has eaten a ton since Thursday night. She's gained 6 oz. Pooping and peeing fine. This afternoon she has stopped eating. I'm getting clavamox from the rescue. I have permission to take her to the Vet ER if she gets worse. I have a birthing kit with supples to help her....bottles, syringes, floss etc

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They look fairly developed so she should be due soon. While she's nursing be sure to keep her locked indoors and away from males until she can be spayed.

She definitely will need help since she is in rough shape. You will have to act as her midwife.

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I was having trouble getting on this site for a few days.
Lavender birthed 7 kittens on Easter morning. She needed a lot of help. She was in very,poor health when she got to us. She's in the hospital with her kittens and doing better

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry we were not here to help for several days. Our data center suffered a fire. I was so worried about your cat. So she had 7 kittens. I hope you were able to assist her.

How is she doing now, and how are the 7 kittens? Are they being supplemented? I am sure this poor mom needed help, and the kittens now as well. Thank you so much for getting them to the hospital for help. I expected this. Please do update. I am very concerned and apologize for our site being down in your time of need. Please update.

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry we were not here to help for several days. Our data center suffered a fire. I was so worried about your cat. So she had 7 kittens. I hope you were able to assist her.

How is she doing now, and how are the 7 kittens? Are they being supplemented? I am sure this poor mom needed help, and the kittens now as well. Thank you so much for getting them to the hospital for help. I expected this. Please do update. I am very concerned and apologize for our site being down in your time of need. Please update.
Yes she need total assist at the births. Sadly after the 10 hours of deliveries she was wiped out. She wouldn't eat and was bleeding. So the rescue made the decision to hospitalize Lavender with her kittens. After lots of support they were released from the hospital last night. Lavender and her babies went to the head of the rescue who can provide a more medical foster situation.
Our other queen Gertie gave birth to 5 healthy kittens on Wednesday night. We're getting another queen who has already birthed today...kitten season is craxy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update. I’ll pray that poor Lavender and her 7 babies all do well. Are Gertie’s kittens nursing well and gaining weight? And thank you for taking in another queen with kittens! You are awesome, and yes, kitten season (which feels almost year-round here in Florida) is always crazy!

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update. I’ll pray that poor Lavender and her 7 babies all do well. Are Gertie’s kittens nursing well and gaining weight? And thank you for taking in another queen with kittens! You are awesome, and yes, kitten season (which feels almost year-round here in Florida) is always crazy!
Gertie is a rockstar mama. Her kittens are nursing and growing well. My friend and I foster for the same rescue. Between the two of us we helped deliver 17 kittens in 48 hours 😂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that Lavender was able to be helped. You are doing a wonderful job for all these poor cats.

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured I would come back and update. Tragically, Lavender s kittens caught the illness Lavender had. All 7 passed away. It was heartbreaking.
Gertie's 5 babies are doing great. They're all spayed and neutered and one has been adopted so far. Unfortunately, adoptions have been slowing way down in Colorado.
I just received another pregnant cat to foster on Saturday. She's very tiny. She weighs a little over 5 pounds.
She vomited a few times last night. I can feel movement when I lay my hand on her. I'm hoping she has a few more weeks.
0712212134b.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While it was sad to hear about Lavender's kittens, I am glad that Gertie and her brood are doing well. Such a sweet little girl in the pic and lucky to have found you to help her.