Very odd stool

Crisee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 year old female has the strangest stools. When you press on them with the litter scoop the bark apart and are like sawdust. Completely dry. She eats a raw diet (Hare Today) and no kibble.
What could this possibly mean??

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she strain while on the box? How long has she been on raw? What kind of bone content does her current formulation have? Do you provide a source of fibre like pumpkin?

Sounds like your kitty either has too much bone content in her diet, has been transitioned too quickly, needs fibre, or some combination of the three.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the opposite today. Very soft moist formed poop. Not diarrhea but I have no idea of maybe it was too much moisture in his diet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry crumbly poop is normal for many raw fed cats :)

From Catinfo.org:

What is the normal consistency of feline feces when eating a species-appropriate diet?

With regard to the diet discussed on this webpage, as well as some low residue commercial canned and commercial raw diets, it is important to note that the feces of a cat eating a species-appropriate diet are often dry and crumbly which is not necessarily abnormal, or a problem, for most cats.

Cats eating a natural, species-appropriate diet do not produce soft, voluminous, stinky feces like so many people are used to seeing from their cats eating commercial diets.

raw-fed-fecal-consistanc-copy

This is a picture of feces from 2 separate bowel movements from my cats. In other words, an average bowel movement from my cats is half this volume – or even less. I crushed 2 of the fecal pieces to show how dry and crumbly it is. The feces from my cats also has very little odor.