Very Inflamed Bum On Kitten

JessieJade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we just rescued a kitten that was sadly dumped on our road and it is perfectly fine besides a very red, swollen and painful anus. We have taken her to the vet and the vet said it had likely eaten something not so nice like roadkill wich has caused it to become irritated. The vet gave her worm and flea treatment aswell as some antibiotics so we are hoping it will get better soon. She is probably about 4-6 weeks and is eating solid food, she doesn’t have a tail and has very long legs so we think she might be a Manx cross or bob but it could also be a mutation, not sure. Her poos are runny and she is leaving a lot from her behind. It is very sore and she in uncomfortable sittlibg and when using the litter box. Because of her leaking poop we do try to wipe her with a warm, wet cloth or tissue but it hurts her a lot. She plays and eats as normal and talks to us a lot but I was hoping for some tips on how or what might be causing her bum to be so agitated and how to make her more comfortable as it heals. Thanks a bunch :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can always put some nice oil - coldpressed olive oil or coldpressed organic cocoanut oil. I would prefer the cocoanut oil - many says it has good soothing properties for irritated and inflammed conditions.

Some udder balm may be useful too as another option, even if there is a risk she will lick it off. Udder balm isnt supposed to be harmful so I hope it isnt harmful either if licked on.

Some probiotic to calm down the intestines - antibiotics are often hurting the good bacteria...

If you can get raw goats milk it wont hurt. canned or powdered goats milk is fully eatable, but not the same potential pluses.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - here are ingredients for one brand of udder balm, 8-Hydroxyquinoline, petroleum jelly, and lanolin as its active ingredients. The 8-Hydroxyquinoline works as a disinfectant, while the petroleum jelly and lanolin work as skin moisturizing ingredients.

and for another, ingredients: Water, Mineral Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Lanolin, Triethanolamine, Lemon Fragrance, Methylparaben, Aloe Vera, Propylparaben, PABA, Artificial Color.

I think if you go this route try and find one with fewer ingredients. Poor baby, thank you for taking her in!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hooefully the antibiotics will clear the diarrhea soon. In the meantime, apply coconut oil or even A&D diaper ointment to her bum. She needs relief. It will help! Thank you for saving her!