Velociraptor Kitten

Lemontart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering four kittens who are six weeks old from a shelter and without their mummy. They are adorable... but one behaves very oddly towards me. She is constantly trying to climb my body and make her way to my head gently letting out little crying noises the whole time. Once she has reached the peak (my head) she nuzzles into me and she proceeds to bite my neck, my ears and sometimes likes to claw at my scalp. I obviously discourage this, pick her up and put her in the floor. But she just does it again, over and over, crying the whole time. She reminds me of a velociraptor from Jurassic park. But heaps better looking! It's cute and kind of freaky all at the same time. I don't think it's aggressive but it sure is persistent and done with conviction. What is this? Is it something she would have done with her mummy? Or am I misreading the situation and she is trying to tell me she doesn't like me! It's not really a huge issue, just interested to know what this is all about. Thanks.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do they have cat trees to climb?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is one of those "we'll never know why" things. However, I do have some random guesses:

Warmth. Heads tend to be a little warmer than extremities.

Scenting. Cats head butt each other and rub heads to exchange heads. Your head just happens to be way up there.

Height. Cats like vertical spaces and sometimes the more vertical, tall, climbable spot happens to be human. I've had a cat who, when taken to the vet, would try to figure out how to perch on the edges of picture frames to be higher for comfort.

You. The talking and attention aspect of the human seems to come from the top part so the top part is the place to be... at least in the kittens mind.

Spot to hang on. It could be that kitten would be the one trying to catch piggyback rides if Mom was around. Since you are now Mom the ride is on your head or shoulder, them being the two spots kittens can try to balance without you holding them.

Comfort, you keep leaving and the kitten wants to stay with you. Which kinda ties in with the last.

That's all I got. The good news is most kittens will grow out of this habit with time. So just make sure you wear thicker clothes and discourage it when possible until then. Another thing you could try is get a stuffed animal with a hot water bottle and heart beat. If it is for a comfort aspect maybe the kitten will feel more comfortable with something to snuggle with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lemontart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! All those things are pretty positive - so that's nice. Unfortunately I only have them for a few weeks before they go back to the shelter to be neutered and find their permanent homes.

She is one of four, so they have each other (they always seem to sleep together) and I should also add this often happens when I am sitting, so not too far to climb. I just went to say goodnight to them and I got the same response when I picked her up. Quite sweet.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you remind her of her mom and she is frantically looking for the milk bar. Very baby behavior and yes she will grow out of it. You can try offering her something to suckle, like a piece of fleece, a dollop of wet food, or if you are willing a finger to suck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lemontart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I was wondering if she thought I might have a secret food supply in my ears...

Next time she does it, I will take her to the feeding bowls and see what the response is. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens who are away from their mom too early will develop suckling behaviors, which can be very annoying once the cat is large (having a 12-pound cat trying to climb your shoulders to suck on your ear can be a little inconvenient!). So maybe it would be a good idea to give this kitty an outlet for suckling, perhaps the corner of a cloth soaked in milk or a bottle. When I raise bottle babies I tend to offer the bottle once a day even after they don't need it anymore, just to try to prevent obsessive suckling.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add that just because you got her at 6 weeks old doesn't mean she had developed as much as her siblings. I raised 2 kittens. The smaller one did everything her sister did, 5 days later. So she may be looking for something to suckle. A binkie/scarf and a bottle might be greatly appreciated. The younger kitten 'nursed' off of one of our neutered males and never developed the binkie habit.

Plus at that age they are light enough to climb just about everything & they have claws to help them!