Vanity insanity or completely justified? Opinions please!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Kailie, I have mixed feelings about it. Like you, I lost a great deal of weight (76 pounds) and now I have some loose skin around my stomach area. I've considered a tummy tuck and DH and I have talked about it. But in the end, well, I'm not doing it.

First, in the US for the most part, it's considered cosmetic surgery and I don't have that kind of money for cosmetic surgery.

Second, DH says he loves me the way I am. He loved me when I was fat (and let's face it, 76 extra pounds is fat, not just over-weight) and he loves me now. The loose skin bothers me more than it does him.

Third, I had a long talk with my GYN about a year or so ago. He says it is loose skin, it's not fat or anything like that. And he, too, doesn't think it's bad. Apparently I'm the only one who thinks it's terrible!

The fact that I wear a size 8 instead of a size 6 (because of loose skin and a tummy "pouch")? I don't like it, but overall, oh well. The tummy pouch is more because I had a hysterectomy when I was 24 and muscles were cut....it's created a bit of a pouch, I guess you'd call it. No matter how many sit-ups or crunches I do, that will never go away.

My arms aren't too bad; I just consider that.....as a service to the general public, I will wear shirts and blouses with longer sleeves!
I don't like my neck area, but again, DH says I worry too much.

There are a lot of risks involved with that kind of surgery and that's scary in itself.

However, you'd worked very hard to get where you are now. You kept at it and you should be very proud of yourself for all that hard work.

See why I have mixed feelings?!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Keep in mind that I'm 55 years old, so quite a bit older than you. If I was your age, I'm sure I would look at it very differently. I see that you've made the appt with your doctor and I wish you the very best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Pam! Dana tells me all the time that he loves me the way that I am, but I tell him that if I were to do it, I would be doing it for ME and no one else, so I don't know.

The appointment is just to discuss my options.
I'm still not sure if any surgery will actually take place. I'll see what my surgeon says and go from there I guess.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! I think this is exciting Kailie!

As far as I'm concerned, if cosmetic surgery is something that you can afford and is going to make you happier, then go for it. Sounds like you have a wonderful doctor there and that must make you feel so much more confident about the surgery. I hope it all comes through for you.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Yay! I think this is exciting Kailie!

As far as I'm concerned, if cosmetic surgery is something that you can afford and is going to make you happier, then go for it. Sounds like you have a wonderful doctor there and that must make you feel so much more confident about the surgery. I hope it all comes through for you.

I admire your will-power and accomplishments.
Talk with your doctor and Dana, take a look at the risks of surgery vs. the benefits, and do what your heart tells you. There is nothing to feel guilty about if you decide to have the procedure. And as far as being vain, you're not. You're considering a practical step following a dramatic weight loss. But we'll all love you either way.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I would consider it a necessary surgery....you could get infections with the loose skin rubbing and chafing together, and your heart has to pump blood through all that extra skin!

You also deserve it

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope I didn't come off as rude. I really do wish my insurance would pay.

I grew up morbidly obese..I went from 350lbs to 165lbs. Then I had two kids so my stomach muscles are shot. Oh, I had C-Sections with them both.

I would love to have surgery to repair those muscles but it is deemed cosmetic. I suffer from some horrid back pain due to no support for my back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

I hope I didn't come off as rude. I really do wish my insurance would pay.

I grew up morbidly obese..I went from 350lbs to 165lbs. Then I had two kids so my stomach muscles are shot. Oh, I had C-Sections with them both.

I would love to have surgery to repair those muscles but it is deemed cosmetic. I suffer from some horrid back pain due to no support for my back.
Sweetie, you didn't come off as rude at all.
I wish that you were able to get the surgery as well.
You really deserve it! I can't believe that even after your dramatic weight loss they still consider it cosmetic. Come to Canada!