Vanilla Greek yogurt!

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I was just making some yogurt bark and my cats LOVE yogurt. They were all over the counter while I was trying to work, so to distract them I plopped a spoonful of yogurt on a plate and put it on the floor. It wasn’t until after they finished licking it up that I wondered, could this yogurt actually be really bad for them? The yogurt in question was vanilla Greek yogurt (chobani non fat vanilla Greek yogurt to be specific).

Like I said, they each had maybe half a tablespoon/one tablespoon each. It wasn’t a ton. But I’m wondering now if I might’ve done something harmful. :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain yogurt is okay for kitties. I have one that loves vanilla honey Greek yogurt and I let her lick the bowl when I finish eating it. I think you're okay

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I doubt if its really bad for them. I used to give my cat her thyroid pills in a little bit of vanilla yogurt (about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) and she was fine! I might not give too much of it or too often mostly because of sugar, but if its a one time thing, I think they'll be ok!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Let's put it this way: I hope not, because Mowgli is currently licking out a container of Greek yoghurt with raspberries and figs, after getting a spoonful in his dish. :lol: He likes plain Greek yoghurt, but goes out of his mind over that particular kind.

Our last cat always insisted on sharing my husband's hazlenut yoghurt; that tasted better than the plain stuff we bought for him. He also preferred vanilla-flavored quark.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain yogurt is OK as treats. The other yogurt versions are advice against. Different cats might respond to irritants differently. I wouldn't risk it.