Uti And Overweight

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

One of my cats has diagnosed UTI on June. Luckily, no crystal has been found but she has urinary infection and the vet gave an injection to her, which should last about 2 weeks. Starting day 10, I started seeing her urinating outside of litter box again, so I visited the vet again and this time, the vet prescribed Clavamax. I gave a pill every 12 hours and it worked out fine, but after several days, when I reduced it to 24 hours, the symptom immediately happened again, by meaning she peed outside of litter box again. I gave her a pill every 12 hours for several weeks. Starting 2 weeks ago, I started giving her every 24 hours and sometimes, it seemed ok, and sometimes, she still peed outside of litter box. Now, it is almost September and it has been almost 3 months and I am not sure how long I have to do this? The vet also mentioned that it could be possibly related to her weight, which as she is overweight cat. I am working on it to reduce her weight (I changed her food completely wet food since last month), but I am also curious that if it is related to weight, how come antibiotic works? Also has anyone experienced similar situation? I really want to stop or minimize giving medication to her as it is not good for her health in long term.

Thank you so much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Although I can't help with the meds (hopefully another member can weigh in on that for you) I was wondering, --have you tried a different style of litter box, maybe with lower sides, and/or a different style of litter?
Also, an enzymatic cleaner and testing a different location for the box(es)?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, have you cleaned the "accident areas" with a good enzymatic cleaner? Never mind, Furballsmom Furballsmom covered that. Although...considering that she doesn't have these accidents while on the antibiotic, I'm not sure if any of that is the issue. I'm wondering if you may be dealing with Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. That's recurring infections with no known cause, and often seems to be stress-related. That is JUST A GUESS, though.

You may see some of the issues clear up with weight loss. I know for a fact that in humans, overweight can cause a degree of loss of bladder control. Don't know why it would, again, clear up with antibiotics, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Although I can't help with the meds (hopefully another member can weigh in on that for you) I was wondering, --have you tried a different style of litter box, maybe with lower sides, and/or a different style of litter?
Also, an enzymatic cleaner and testing a different location for the box(es)?
Thank you Furballsmom. Yes, in the beginning before I brought her to vet, I added litter box and the issue occurred once a while, but not always. Her symptom got worse as the time goes on, and I also felt it would be related to her weight because that's the only thing changed, but I also don't know why med works if weight is the issue. Oh and yes, I got cleaner and sprayed many times. I even got carpet cleaner, put enzyme solution for it, though I know the smell isn't 100% gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, have you cleaned the "accident areas" with a good enzymatic cleaner? Never mind, Furballsmom Furballsmom covered that. Although...considering that she doesn't have these accidents while on the antibiotic, I'm not sure if any of that is the issue. I'm wondering if you may be dealing with Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. That's recurring infections with no known cause, and often seems to be stress-related. That is JUST A GUESS, though.

You may see some of the issues clear up with weight loss. I know for a fact that in humans, overweight can cause a degree of loss of bladder control. Don't know why it would, again, clear up with antibiotics, though.
Thank you so much for the reply! I really hope weight is the reason, because that's the only thing got changed past few months and I could see her urinating issue got worse as she gained weight. However, I also couldn't find why med works if weight is the issue, but as you said, maybe she gets infected easily because of the weight? But thank you so much for the reply. I will see how it goes as she looses weight actually improves this issue (which I really hope!)

Ranger_roo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all my cat Doctor got a bladder infection this week. They had to catch him and keep him overnight to drain his bladder after 24 hrs of being home he finally peed. I think it was accidental cause it was on his bed and he was laying in the wet spot. His urine is still a little bloody.... is that normal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whc216 - Did they do a full urine culture on your cat to determine the actual type of UTI it is/was? Although a couple of the antibiotics I used on Feeby worked to a degree, it wasn't until the vet did a full urine culture that he put her on Orbax, an anti-microbial. That did the trick. She has still had repeated UTIs but they are months apart, so I do think Orbax worked for her specific kind of infection. Some of the more basic, routine antibiotics don't address all the different kinds of UTIs there are.

BTW - the vet is convinced she was getting UTIs because she doesn't clean herself well due to her weight/arthritis. So, now I clean her booty for her - daily.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi R Ranger_roo keep an eye on your kitty - you want to observe that the blood in the urine becomes less and less. If it doesn't, definitely take your cat back to the vet. You could start your own thread for your kitty, let us know what happens :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ranger_roo - Start your own thread, you might have better luck getting responses specific to your issues. My cat is female, so bladder infections can present differently than in males. She has had multiple UTIs, and as I said above, the vet is sure it is from her not cleaning herself. She also had some discharge that looked bloody, but it turned out to be the beginning of anal glands clogging up - also from her not cleaning herself. Can you tell the bloody-like substance is in the urine itself? If not, maybe what you are seeing isn't blood and not from the infection??? Good luck.