Using The Furminator Deshedding Tool Is Giving Allergic Reactions

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
the brush doesn’t have anything for the loose hair to stick to, so the hair that doesn’t get caught in the metal teeth of the brush ends up all over his body as well as floating in the air, and settling on my clothing or the floor of the room. I don’t normally have noticeable allergies to my kitty but when I do this it becomes hard to breath and I turn red all over and start sweating and itching. I got the FURminator on sale for like 9$ at petsmart with a price match thing so I am 100% fine with switching to something else and giving this brush to a local shelter or something(not sure if they would even want it though). So this brings me to this question: I am looking for a brush that is really good at getting the loose fur out of his coat but also very effective at controlling the mess/hair everywhere issue. I had a “slicker” style brush at one point but it was Whisker City 3$ very low quality and after maybe 4 uses the metal teeth bent and some detached from the brush and ended up in his fur occasionally, but with this brush the fur stuck to it perfectly! Barely any fur on the floor or on my skin/clothes. I’m looking for a brush like this but it needs to be durable and efficient for daily brushing on a large, long haired cat. Thank you so much for your input. 533B6CA5-12EE-4893-801C-8E56A7CF9669.jpeg A6881ED6-2DDA-4BE5-93C3-75A28E301E33.jpeg
533B6CA5-12EE-4893-801C-8E56A7CF9669.jpeg
A6881ED6-2DDA-4BE5-93C3-75A28E301E33.jpeg

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try on of the silicone types because the hair is made to stick to it. Try these gloves on amazon, they get great reviews! I would also maybe wear a little doctors mask if you need to, my mom used to do that when grooming our dog and it really helped her allergies.:)
[Upgrade Version] Pet Grooming Glove - Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove - Efficient Pet Hair Remover Mitt - Enhanced Five Finger Design - Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur - 1 Pair (BLUE)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try on of the silicone types because the hair is made to stick to it. Try these gloves on amazon, they get great reviews! I would also maybe wear a little doctors mask if you need to, my mom used to do that when grooming our dog and it really helped her allergies.:)
[Upgrade Version] Pet Grooming Glove - Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove - Efficient Pet Hair Remover Mitt - Enhanced Five Finger Design - Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur - 1 Pair (BLUE)
Hey thank you that is a great idea. Although I wonder if the gloves would be effective in removing the loose undercoat like the brushes are.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey thank you that is a great idea. Although I wonder if the gloves would be effective in removing the loose undercoat like the brushes are.
Oh GROSS!! I just checked the review photos on the item from people- YUCK!!:lol: If those pictures are true I would say yes? Lol!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With long-haired cats I like to use those simple two-sided combs for humans that are wide-toothed on one end and narrow-toothed on the other. I get a big pack of various sizes from a dollar store and just use the one with the longest teeth on it. Go over with the wide teeth first, then the narrow teeth. In my experience it collects just as much hair as the Furminator, but actually holds on to it instead of spreading it everywhere.

Silicone grooming pads and gloves work really well for seasonal shedding, but the rest of the time I find they don't get enough of the undercoat to prevent matting in cats that are lazy groomers.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zoom Groom!! Love that thing. Or run a lint roller along behind the Furminator to catch the loose hairs lol.
I hope I don’t sound rude asking this but what makes the zoom groom so special? It has sooo many good reviews, so it must be great. It looks small though can you tell me why you love it? I’m interested in getting one now that I see all the good reviews

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It clumps the hair as you are brushing the cat. It builds up on the brush and gets bigger and bigger but you leave it and keep going and when you are done you pull off the big clump of hair and throw it away. Easy peasy! Watch a video before you do it, I have had people tell me the hated it and I guarentee they are not doing it right :)

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
It clumps the hair as you are brushing the cat. It builds up on the brush and gets bigger and bigger but you leave it and keep going and when you are done you pull off the big clump of hair and throw it away. Easy peasy! Watch a video before you do it, I have had people tell me the hated it and I guarentee they are not doing it right :)
Awesome. I like the price too:) :) thanks

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread...my husband has an asthma attack every time I brush my cats, and the Furminator is all I ever use. Zoom Groom...I will look it up

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the PetNeat grooming brush, which is like a knock-off Furminator. I haven't had any problems with the hair not getting caught by the teeth, for the most part. I have to stop pretty often to pick the fur out of the teeth, but I just clump it in a pile next to me.

I picked up a Zoom Groom at PetSmart the other day to see if my cat who is really adverse to the PetNeat would prefer it. But the Zoom Groom actually seemed to produce more loose hair in the air that wasn't caught by the rubber spikes. My boy likes it more than the PetNeat (he lays out and stretches like he's getting a massage, and even allows it on his belly), so I'll continue to use it, and it works great. My boys are so soft now. :hearthrob:

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the PetNeat grooming brush, which is like a knock-off Furminator. I haven't had any problems with the hair not getting caught by the teeth, for the most part. I have to stop pretty often to pick the fur out of the teeth, but I just clump it in a pile next to me.

I picked up a Zoom Groom at PetSmart the other day to see if my cat who is really adverse to the PetNeat would prefer it. But the Zoom Groom actually seemed to produce more loose hair in the air that wasn't caught by the rubber spikes. My boy likes it more than the PetNeat (he lays out and stretches like he's getting a massage, and even allows it on his belly), so I'll continue to use it, and it works great. My boys are so soft now. :hearthrob:
Soft kitties:redheartpump::catlove: