Using Litter Pellets After Neutering

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had two of my kitty's neutered on the 21st (I have three kittys) , and I switched their litter from the usual clumping litter to pellet litter to avoid infection at the incision site, but I was wondering how long I should wait before switching back to their normal litter? I'm having problems with my cat that was already neutered going outside of the litter box now because he's not a fan of the new litter his brothers have to use.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Lisaloowho, as long as the surgery site is kept dry and clean, clumping litter is ok.

My boy used clumping litter and I did not change litter for him. I just make sure the surgery site is ok and I dab the area lightly with a clean warm and slightly damp towel.

He kicked off the e-collar once he reached home. So it was no change tonlitter and no e-collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for letting me know! I wasn't sure If I had to use the pellets, but that's what some people told me to do. I'm going to go ahead, and put their normal litter back in the morning then because my other cat isn't happy about the pellets at all. I'll just make sure the site stay's clean, and lightly clean it if needed after they use the box. I didn't think I could take two weeks of my other cat going outside of the box lol :p

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
17A89786-C685-4279-9107-CA8F4B3E1C8B.gif

Just make sure that there’s no yellowish pus or smell or slit opening at the surgery site. If any of these appears, bring him back to the vet ASAP. Keep it clean and dry and you’ll have no worries.

Full recovery around two weeks.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one ever told me to use pellet litter when the kids were fixed. I was using pine up until they hit a certain age so they weren't digging around kicking dust up into their nostrils. After Tom had PU surgery they said to use the paper litter, and only needed to do it for two weeks. That was over a year ago because boyfriend likes it better than clay because of the tracking. We use Exquisicat unscented paper from Petsmart.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet did have me use a pellet litter after my cats were spayed and neutered as well. most of my cats hated it :( I used it about two weeks. If you have a pet store nearby that cares okocat paper litter you might give it a try. It is softer than the pine pellets, and my cats like it better. But they were happy to get back to their regular litter after :)
Okocat Natural Paper Dust Free Cat Litter, 5.1-lb box