Using food grade diatomaceous earth on kittens

therchenhahn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used it on my dogs for years and it is great! Use food grade only. The kind that is marketed as an insecticide can be harmful yo your pets. The kind used for pools can kill them. It has been used as a wormer by farmers forever with sheep, horses, goats, chickens, pigs, dogs etc. I have four one week old kittens (did not think mom could get pregnant, she is 3 and had not until now) she is a roamer and has the occasional flea. I'm not a cat person but my best frurndy is and she came over to check out mama and babies and noticed a couple of fleas. She had a litter die because she couldn't find them and when she did they were too far gone, gums and tongue completely bloodless. So I googled everything I could about newborn kittens and diatomaceous earth. Seems that lots of folks have had success with it so I dusted them tonite. Will keep you posted as to developments or issues. Keep your fingers crossed. I was too afraid to use anything else honestly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've used it on my dogs for years and it is great! Use food grade only. The kind that is marketed as an insecticide can be harmful yo your pets. The kind used for pools can kill them. It has been used as a wormer by farmers forever with sheep, horses, goats, chickens, pigs, dogs etc. I have four one week old kittens (did not think mom could get pregnant, she is 3 and had not until now) she is a roamer and has the occasional flea. I'm not a cat person but my best frurndy is and she came over to check out mama and babies and noticed a couple of fleas. She had a litter die because she couldn't find them and when she did they were too far gone, gums and tongue completely bloodless. So I googled everything I could about newborn kittens and diatomaceous earth. Seems that lots of folks have had success with it so I dusted them tonite. Will keep you posted as to developments or issues. Keep your fingers crossed. I was too afraid to use anything else honestly.
Yes, please reports are welcome!   If heavily infested, you can also bathe them with mild Dawn soap solution.  But the bathing of such youngs has also some dangers, you must do it carefully not to chill them out.. etc.   So a working alternative is always useful.

Another alternative is to give momma Advantage II - it works on the kittens too.

Tx for the tips on different types of DE earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

therchenhahn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your welcome! One of my good friends works at the farmers co-op and she tells me all kinds of things that farmers have known and done for decades but city folks like me are still in the dark about. Ivermectin is another. Cattlemen have been dosing cows and horses with it for years as a wormer. We give it to our dogs in the form of heartguard at a ridiculously marked up price and by prescription. The dosage for dogs for the product available at the co-op is on line. You just have to trust that folks are genuine in their love for animals and will not ill advise others :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the babies, and good luck with yeh fleas! Were you able to move mom and babies inside?

It's important to know that mom can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and without going into heat. Can you keep her away from intact males until the babies are weaned?

Kin_n_yunasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Kin_n_yunasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did it go with your fur babies? It didn't affect them at all or anything did it. My cat had babies about 2.5 weeks ago. Vet eanted to wait til my daughters kitten was 6 months and he got my female at 5 months. Not thrilled about it. I got DT earth food grade. 10 lb bag. (Did not realize how big it actually was) but I've seen 2 fleas. Theyre gums are pink and healthy but id rather nip it in the bud now before more prodice. My cats have always had a advantage but last time I took my male cat in the vet said that fleas were becoming immune to it and for the price I can't keep doing four cats and so it was maintained and I had neighbors move that didn't care for there cats at all. Used hartz meds despite of me telling them it could kill the cats. My landlord bombed because it wad infested and i think a few made there way to my apt through the hallway. But anyways i wanted to dust the kittens or at least the nesting box I put some on back on my adult cats necks including mama cat but am worried to do the babies. They're 4 healthy beautiful babies. I know not to let them inhale that's why I only did the back on the necks but I found this post and was just curious if your kittens were safe after using it and how you went about doing it. Please and thank you in advance.