Urinary tract infection

Miro801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten was diagnosed with uti and inflammation and i tried every antibiotic but nothing works so I was thinking about giving her d-mannose may I know the right dosage for 3 month old kitten i have d-mannose capsules form i couldn't find the powder form In my country

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This might be helpful: Pure D-Mannose dosage specifically, post #6. But this is for an older cat. You should probably talk to your Vet about whether or not the dosage should be less for a kitten.

Additionally, even though you didn't ask, did your Vet run a culture on the urine to determine WHICH antibiotic would work best for that UTI. My cat had a UTI last year and when the first antibiotic we tried didn't work, I asked for a urine culture because I didn't want to keep trying different antibiotics until we found one that would work. I wanted to nip it in the bud. Turned out that there were only two very specific antibiotics that would work and one was something the Vet really didn't want to use, so we tried the other one and it worked!

You said she has inflammation too. What are you doing for that. And are you going back to the Vet to know that she still has the UTI or just going by symptoms?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miro801 Miro801

Poor kitty and you. XOXOXO

Everything mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said. Culture is very important for UTIs as anti-biotics can be very specific for certain things. I had to learn that with one of mine as well.

How is her drinking? Fluids can help. If she not drinking enough you could try adding some water to her food. Not like a soup, more like a stew.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten was diagnosed with uti and inflammation and i tried every antibiotic but nothing works so I was thinking about giving her d-mannose may I know the right dosage for 3 month old kitten i have d-mannose capsules form i couldn't find the powder form In my country
Did you use all the antibiotic as prescribed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miro801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This might be helpful: Pure D-Mannose dosage specifically, post #6. But this is for an older cat. You should probably talk to your Vet about whether or not the dosage should be less for a kitten.

Additionally, even though you didn't ask, did your Vet run a culture on the urine to determine WHICH antibiotic would work best for that UTI. My cat had a UTI last year and when the first antibiotic we tried didn't work, I asked for a urine culture because I didn't want to keep trying different antibiotics until we found one that would work. I wanted to nip it in the bud. Turned out that there were only two very specific antibiotics that would work and one was something the Vet really didn't want to use, so we tried the other one and it worked!

You said she has inflammation too. What are you doing for that. And are you going back to the Vet to know that she still has the UTI or just going by symptoms?
No he didn't run a culture he said she is too young to insert a needle into her bladder and said its not safe for her age so I suggested to do a free catch he said it will gives us inaccurate results I'm so worried because her mother from 2 days ago started showing uti syptoms too like the clumping size is smaller than the normal and they are using the same litter box is uti contagious? The vet prescribed for the kitten clavamox and dexmathsone and nothings seems to work for her or her mother so I'm asking you is inserting a needle into her bladder safe i asked some people in I country they said a cat can die from it and even somepeople told me their cats died from it and im so worried i don't know what to do and by the way doctors in my country are inexperienced doctors that's why I'm asking for d-mannose dosage because he doesn't even know what d-mannose is so please if you know any information that can help me please don't hesitate vets usually in my country are against tests I don't know why they just prescribe medicine without running any tests

Miro801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miro801 Miro801

Poor kitty and you. XOXOXO

Everything mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said. Culture is very important for UTIs as anti-biotics can be very specific for certain things. I had to learn that with one of mine as well.

How is her drinking? Fluids can help. If she not drinking enough you could try adding some water to her food. Not like a soup, more like a stew.
I'm always offering her so much money she drinks a lot but the clumping size are very small and she use the same box as her mother and from 2 days ago her mother too started showing uti symptoms I'm so worried no i didn't run any urinalysis or urine culture the vet said she is to young to insert a needle into her bladder I asked for a free catch he said it will not gives us a accurate results I don't know what to do he prescribed clavomox and dexmathsone for the kitten and her mother but nothing's seems to work so my question is, is inserting needle into bladder safe i asked people her in my country they said their cats died from it and it's not safe and is uti contagious cause they are using the same litter box i'm so worried I don't know what should I I do to help my cats

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Miro801 Miro801 when I'm unable to get a urine sample from my boy they use Cystocentesis (the needle extraction). He's had it several times and it's always been fine.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
And UTIs are not contagious. :)

Miro801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really ? So there is not slight danger in using cystocentesis some people in my country said that thier cats died from it I'm so worried because vets her are inexperienced

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Really ? So there is not slight danger in using cystocentesis some people in my country said that thier cats died from it I'm so worried because vets her are inexperienced
It's considered very low risk here in Australia.
Sometimes cats die of a disease and people look for things that may have brought it on and blame a procedure. If you actually know people who have had a cat die after cystocentesis, talk to them about it, but if it's just hearsay, it's hard to tell whether it's real.

The other option is to collect the urine yourself:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Miro801 Miro801 , HOW did they diagnosis either the kitten or her mom with a UTI without urine samples. It's unusual for a kitten of only 3 months to have a UTI (although not impossible). What are her symptoms? And HOW did they diagnose the kitten with inflammation? And Inflammation where? Kidneys, bladder?