Urinary Health

Jennybean421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been prone to struvite crystals. For the past 9 years he was in the animal hospital 2x a year. In 2019 he ended up having surgery to fix the issue. The vet said he needed to be on Hills CD food. I can not afford to take him to the vet for a few months. I can't afford the $600 for the visit and all the tests just to get a prescription. Any suggestions on what to feed him until I can take him in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennybean421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he gets a mixture of wet and dry. He gets dry when I am gone overnight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you add a little water to his canned food regularly?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennybean421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. He doesn't drink a lot of water. I even trick him by giving him chicken water. He's a little grumpy old man.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you tell your vet up front that you aren't able to come in for the time being and ask if the prescription food can be continued or if there are some safe commercial substitutes?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prescription food isn't always necessary for urinary issues. Here's some info: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

I would stop feeding all dry food. That can be a contributing factor to urinary issues in some cats. You can leave canned food out for snacking overnight. It's fine to do so and canned food is a cooked product so it won't go bad overnight.

D-mannose is supposed to help with urinary issues. It's a powdered supplement that you can mix into canned food.

I found a TCS thread that seems to be similar to your situation:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were looking to adopt Austin, he was at the rescue with a UTI and crystals. We talked to the vet before adopting him and she told us about a cat who was a patient of hers and nothing was working so they were going to do surgery. She suggested the people try him on Fancy Feast, and that worked so well he didn't need surgery. Not saying FF is any kind of miracle cure, but FF is one of the things I've been giving Austin, in addition to his SO food. So far, so good.