Urinary health

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has had a few incidents over the last few months with not using her litterbox for urination. Back in April, she peed on my dirty laundry a few times. I brought her to the vet and they ruled out a UTI. She did have crystals present in her urine but no sign of stones and still has no symptoms of stones as far as I can tell. The vet figured it might be behavioral since I was fostering a dog at the time. Needless to say, keeping my dirty laundry off the floor and getting a laundry basket with a lid ended up being the most effective solution for that. The dog has since been adopted as well.

Yesterday, she peed on a pile of plastic bags next to her litterbox (first incident since April) which after some googling it seems like plastic bags are not an uncommon place for cats to pee. I had also just given her some catnip for the first time in months and upon googling that, I read a few accounts of other cat owners whose cats peed outside the box as an almost immediate side effect of catnip. The thing that concerned me most though was the smell of her urine. Usually her urine has that typical strong cat pee smell, but this one smelled almost sweet. I know that sweet smelling urine could be a sign of diabetes but I don’t see any other warning signs. She is about 4 years old and in good health and only weighs 9lbs. Could there be another possible reason her urine smelled different? Not sure if I should take her to the vet again or just monitor her to see if anything seems out of the ordinary. Thanks!

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet for sure and get her urine tested. Is 9lbs a healthy weight for her? As in can you still feel her ribs and spine easily? What food is she eating? Is she spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet for sure and get her urine tested. Is 9lbs a healthy weight for her? As in can you still feel her ribs and spine easily? What food is she eating? Is she spayed?
Yes she’s been 9lbs since I got her 1.5 years ago and the vet always says her weight is good. She hasn’t lost or gained any weight. She has a bowl of Rachael ray salmon dry food she grazes on and I give her some wet food (usually fancy feast) in the evenings. And yes she is spayed, has been since before I got her

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats fed only dry food can be chronically dehydrated, especially ones like Rachel rays that is full of carbs and low protein. Fish flavors can also cause UTIs as well so I would suggest switching to a better brand of dry food with no fish in it, and feeding more wet food. I would also get her checked for a UTI as well.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have to be diabetes. I have heard of cases like yours including sweet-smelling urine and after exam it turned out to be just stress. No way to know what it is without some tests though. If taking her to the vet will be stressful as well, maybe call the vet and ask if you can bring urine sample and how, if urine sample alone would be enough without blood test.