Urinary Cat Food Help

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys Christen again I know I already posted about treats now I need some help with food.

As in my other post Scooter is the one that had a UTI. On the emergency vet papers it says Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease - Bacteria in Urine. He had a check up last Thursday which showed the antibiotics were working. He finished up his antibiotics Sunday which he was happy about. I have been feeding him the Hill’s food the vet gave. We asked about Purina’s urinary food but vet said no it doesn’t have enough of what he needs. That they recommend prescription Royal Canin(which he doesn’t like) or Hill’s. Royal Canin is the only food he has turned away cause he is not picky. But something about Royal Canin made him go nope. So it’s why we choose Hill’s. Here is the dilemma since I have 2 cats I decided it was easier to feed it to both of them instead of separating them. Well the 4lb bag is almost gone and I can’t afford $32 for another bag or $6 for the canned food. I did research on Google and found out both IAMS & Purina have urinary food both are affordable for me. Way affordable than $32 for a 4lb bag of Hill’s. Would it be ok to give him one of those foods? I know Purina has urinary wet food too I don’t think IAMS does I have only seen dry. Their normal food was Friskies if couldn’t get Friskies I always gave Fancy Feast for wet. I do give my boys both canned & dry food. I even put water on the dry to make sure they get extra water. I know I should ask my vet but last time I did she said it doesn’t have enough of what he needs. I know all vets right now are pushing Royal Canin or Hill’s but they don’t understand it’s not affordable for people on a budget like me. But right now I can’t afford the $32 for prescription Hill’s I can only afford what I mentioned. Would it hurt him to give him IAMS or Purina Urinary food? Or should I find a way to afford the Hill’s. I don’t want him to have another emergency. Until I pay off the Care Credit from last visit I can’t afford another $1,370 visit. I want the best for my boys but whew it’s expensive. So any advice right now is appreciated.

included is photos of the paper from the emergency vet 2 weeks ago that has diagnoses. Screenshots of the two brands I found that is affordable for me. Also a picture of my boy scooter! Like I mentioned above since his emergency 2 weeks ago I have been adding water to his dry food. I even add it to the wet food as well to make sure he stays well hydrated. Sorry for double posts but in all the years I have owned cats this is the first time I’ve had this issue. All my other cats I knew what to do and all lived long lives. This is my first kitty that had a UTI.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I would discuss your concerns of the expense of the recommended food brand with the vet - perhaps there is a combination of other food brands that will provide what he needs. If you look at the ingredients and the nutritional makeup of all four foods and talk to your vet about differences between them, perhaps there's a way through this that will work for everyone.

I have been adding water to his dry food. I even add it to the wet food as well to make sure he stays well hydrated.
By the way, are you using filtered water?

I'll post the article again, in case it is helpful for other readers and lurkers
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I would discuss your concerns of the expense of the recommended food brand with the vet - perhaps there is a combination of other food brands that will provide what he needs. If you look at the ingredients and the nutritional makeup of all four foods and talk to your vet about differences between them, perhaps there's a way through this that will work for everyone.

By the way, are you using filtered water?

I'll post the article again, in case it is helpful for other readers and lurkers
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite
I use water that comes from my faucet cause as stated above I am on a very tight budget. So I can’t buy a filtered pitcher or bottled water constantly.I do believe where I live our water is filtered indeed. Since I have 2 cats & 1 dog I have a water jug thing for their water bowl I will include a pic of it. The jug and water bowl gets cleaned weekly. I will show the Hill’s plus the 2 other foods I have found. Pink is the IAMS the other is Purina. Although in this case I think IAMS is best.

Attachments