Urinary Blockage After Pu Surgery?!

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give an update regarding Kai.

Despite being switched to wet food Kai actually blocked AGAIN. This time it was over the long weekend so our usual vet was closed and we were referred to a new emergency vet we've never dealt with before.

They said with the PU surgery this shouldn't have been able to happen at all (which I already knew) and were kind of at a lost. Bloodwork showed he wasn't dehydrated, and his urinalysis showed no signs of crystals. They also did some x-rays and were able to rule out bladder stones.

When they tried to cath him they said they were unable to "because the opening was too small" but they were able to use a buffer solution to dissolve the blockage (which they determined to be a mucus plug) and sent him home that same night with a bunch of medications (Buprenorphine, Metacam, Clavamox, and Prazin) and the suggestion that I switch from the friskies wet, to a perscription diet (Royal Canin Multifunction Urinary + Calm) as well as keep him on a glucosamine supplement for the rest of his life.

Kai has since resumed peeing normally, but now I have some concerns.

1. Should I try switching him from the wet food to the prescription dry? I know water intake is usually really important in preventing blockages but Kai blocked even while being fed an all wet diet so I'm kind of lost on that front

2. Why is this happening again a year after having the PU surgery? This last vet we visited thinks the issue may be scar tissue which has caused the urethra to close up a bit from when the surgery was first done, allowing blockages again, but this doesn't make sense to me. It's been a year since Kai had the surgery, it seems kind of late to be scarring, and when I mentioned this I was told that it was something I'd have to talk to the vet who did the surgery about because they "don't do PU surgery at this vet"

I don't know. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I feel like there is so much contradictory information being thrown at me and I'm just scared of him blocking again. My usual vet and I have a good relationship and they're willing to work with me when it comes to making payments, but I really don't have another $1200 to pay upfront at the emergency vet again.

Anyone else have a cat who blocked after PU surgery? What was the solution?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just bumping this up so someone with experience can respond. Hoping kitty gets well soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really don't know much about blockages, and particularly don't know much about P/U surgery, but is there some reason why you can't have him on prescription WET food? To me, that would be ideal.

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know this post is old but i saw it didnt have a ton of comments on it. i have a lot if experience with this. my cat had the PU surgery when he was only 3 years old and im my experience wet food is the ONLY option. my cat toulouse is 9 now and has had a few flare ups since his PU. and all of them were after he had gotten into some dry food. i foster kittens for an animal shelter on a regular basis and my cat is a feind for dry food and will do anything to get to dry kitten food. dry food is absolutely the worst thing you can give a cat with urinary problems. i got a lot if my information from dr lisa piersons website ‘catinfo.org’ it has lots of information about urinary problems and obstructions and all the stuff you should and shouldnt do. its been my holy grail for my cat. i hope it can help you as well