Urinary Acidifiers? L-methionine

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found out a couple days ago you can buy L-methionine and methigel over the counter. Has anybody used these for their cats? What’s your experience like? Did it actually help your cat dissolve struvite crystals without the prescription food?

I have a 5 year old male cat who been suffering from FLUTD for about 2 years now. Took him to the ASPCA hospital and they did all kinds of test such as urine analysis, urine cultures, xrays, ultra sounds. He has been on Royal Canine and hills urinary food for 2 years. He never completely blocked but is constantly peeing in my room, strong urine smell, dribbles pee. Nothing has helped.

I did more research and saw you can get these urinary acidifiers online. Can anyone share their experiences please? I’m tired of my cat peeing in my room and having to worry about him all day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should note that I already ordered L-methionine and is putting 1/8 teaspoon in his food once a day. 1/5 teaspoon is 500mg. I don’t want to give him too much. He doesn’t like the methigel so I will not force it on him. It’s been 3 days so far and his urine smells a bit less strong. I hope this works

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am not really familiar with adding that supplement to a cat's food, as there are quite a few foods out there that already have it listed as an ingredient. I DO know that some folks add D-Mannose or Cornsilk to their cat's food when they have urinary issues. You might do a search here on this site, or even google it for more information.

One thing I can tell you is that FLUTD is often brought on by stress and them not drinking enough water. Are you feeding wet or dry food? If dry, has he ever had wet? If wet, do you add additional water to his food? Does he drink much? Does he like drinking from the faucet? If so, he might enjoy having his own water fountain. For stress, does he have his own hideaways? How about a cat tree to climb up high? Even shelves or bookcases he can jump on work. And of course, play helps destress cats. And there are even calming CD's for cats!

And lastly, for now, when he pees outside of the litter box, are you cleaning those areas with enzymaic cleaners? If not, he will be drawn right back to those spots because he will be able to smell them even if you can't.

Hope some of this helps.