URI vs. FIP?

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I have a four-month old kitten (male/neutered/american short hair) who I adopted two months ago. He was a little sneezy when I got him, but it was pretty sporadic. About two weeks ago, I noticed he was sneezing a lot more, so I brought that up when I took him for his rabies shot. They said it was probably a mild URI and not to worry because his heart/lungs looked good.

(I'm fostering a shelter cat and she's been interacting with my kitten for about 4-5 days—however, she doesn't appear to be sick. My kittens' sneezing started before they began interacting.)

Last night, I noticed he was a lot more lethargic than usual. He's usually extremely playful, but now he's sleeping a lot and barely playing. He's also eating less, but still eating. I took him to the emergency vet and they said it's likely a worsened URI. He had a fever (103) but his bloodwork (a CBC) was normal.

Should I be worried about FIP? He doesn't appear to have any fluid accumulation, but he has weirdly stopped sneezing. It's been about a day since the lethargy started, so I'm hoping he's just fighting it off. I lost my last cat suddenly in January, so I don't know if I'm just being paranoid. The anxious part of my brain is worried he got FIP from the shelter cat, though.

Basically, how likely is this to be a URI vs. something more serious like FIP?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this. But it is much more likely to be a uri than fip. I have a cat just under a year who the vet was worried because he just kept getting poorly. Sneezing, conjunctivitis, and sore gums. Cat flu can really knock kitten's for six. Hope your little guy is feeling better very soon.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got antibiotics and antimflamatry from the vet for my boy. I meant to put this in my post. it's early here take him back if you are worried at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They didn't want to prescribe him antibiotics—the vet said she only did that if there was abnormally colored discharge.

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate that, but does anyone have thoughts on how likely this is to be FIP vs. a URI? That's my main concern.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate that, but does anyone have thoughts on how likely this is to be FIP vs. a URI? That's my main concern.
Sneezing/congestion/upper respiratory symptoms are not symptoms of FIP, if that makes you feel any better. Also even mild cat colds can make cats not want to eat as much, because they rely a lot on smell for their appetite and being stuffed up dulls their sense of smell.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't give odds but I can recount my own situation. My kitty had a URI when I adopted her at 4 months, and it got worse over the first few days, so much so that she was barely eating, lethargic, and I had to take her to the emergency vet. She was still sickly for maybe 4 or 5 weeks. I'm glad I didn't know about FIP back then because I would have been paranoid too. She's about 11 months now and is fine (knock wood).

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'm just worried because it's almost like the URI symptoms have subsided? He was sneezing a lot, but the sneezing stopped yesterday and now he's just really lethargic/low appetite.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have lived through many URIs with my kitties. Most likely it's triggered by allergies, especially this time of the year with the weather changing. If he is still lethargic, not eating, and generally feeling crummy tomorrow, I'd ask the vet for an antibiotic. Make sure he keeps eating, though. If he's congested, try steaming him in the bathroom to help open up the nasal passages.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! My sweet baby was adopted at 6 months old from a shelter. He came from a transport down south will the many other cats. We adopted him and another 6 month old kitten. Both came home with a bunch of stuff not yet diagnosed through the shelter...intestinal bacteria, parasites, and coronavirus. We did a fecal test that found all of f these. I was told that most shelter or outdoor cats get exposed to coronavirus, and about 90% have it. Unfortunately about 10% of those mutate into FIP. Sadly, my little guy was one of the unlucky ones, he had passed away within 6 weeks of bringing him home. FIP bloating came on quickly, which tipped us off that it was FIP, and a fluid tap confirmed it. It moves fast, so you will know if symptoms look like FIP. The other kitten we brought home is thriving with no signs of FIP. The vet said it’s very likely her body will never develop FIP, especially as she nears the 1 year mark. It’s likely your baby has a stubborn URI, as the odds are in your favor it is not FIP.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be feline herpes virus to be honest, it's quite common in cats/kittens. I would say its more likely that than FIP.