Urgent need for volunteeres to raise service dogs for NEADS

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NEADS, a well known organization that trains puppies to become service dogs, is in urgent need of volunteers in the local New England area (MA, RI, CT) to be full time puppy raises, weekend puppy raisers, or breeder caretakers. More information on each of the volunteer types and time commitment as well as an application for each can be found at:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This would be so tempting. 🐶 I'd love to help out but unfortunately I do not live in the New England area. :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The NEADS web site has other ways you can support their organizations such as donations, fundraisers, buy items from their online shop, or just by naming their puppies 👍 Donate - NEADS World Class Service Dogs

A news station did a follow up story:

Since the original story aired, 21 applications and 26 session registrations were made by viewers :clap2:

There are two virtual info sessions for anyone interested in being a volunteer:

Saturday, Feb. 12 at noon
Wednesday, Feb. 16 at 6 p.m.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a friend nearby who used to continually home raise goldens for a CA organization. People don't realize how many dogs do not make it because of some small flaw; they always go to good homes as there is a waiting list for those pups, but to actually have a perfectly trained service dog requires a huge amount of work, along with the right dog for the job.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same with the volunteers - not everyone who applies to be a volunteer will be chosen. There's an vetting process to select the right people to raise the puppies.

I posted the news station article on the Slack channel at work. There are lots of dog people at work. Maybe some people will apply to be a volunteer or just spread the word through social media.

There's more info about the weekend puppy raiser volunteer opportunity here: These puppies spend the week in prison but need a family for the weekend Looks like only MA and RI residents are eligible to be a weekend puppy raiser.

Info on the full time puppy raiser opportunity: Full-time puppy raisers needed for service dogs in Massachusetts

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More info on NEADS and the path of a puppy from being born to training to being matched with a person with disability: What makes a service dog?