Urgent Help For Kitten

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I found an approx 5-6 week old kitten lying prone behind my workplace. I immediately wrapped the kitten in a warm towel and gave in food and water ( kitten formula and wet cat food). She was completely emaciated, purely skeletal and completely weak, not able to lift her head off the ground. Throughout the day her upper body has perked up tremendously! Unfortunately her back legs are very limp and weak. They don't seem to be paralyzed as she's weakest kicked them several times. She was very cold whenever I found her, and was probably drenched in the huge storm we had yesterday. I've managed to stimulate a small poop out of her but other than that, not much action down below. I'm going to try and find a vet that will be open tomorrow ( I live in a very small town so it's tough) and hope that she makes it until the morning. Any tips on what I can do to help her or what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure you begin with little food, but often. Give too much at once may be more dangerous than yet another starving day... Be sure she is warm, ie actively warmed up. Massage her, limbs and body. With your hand and or a toothbrush. Toothbrush feels alike mommas tongue. Massaging helps the small muscles going... Be sure she has fluids - plain non flavored pedialyte is good, but common water with a drop of honey and a trifle salt is OK to begin with.

Goats milk is OK, raw goats milk may even be excellent.

Tx for helping her!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's doing well! Her upper body seems to be getting stronger, she's supporting herself upright a little bit more. I definitely need to get more fluids in her body and I will try the toothbrush stimulation! I got her to pee a decent amount this morning, but I'm still worried because no poops since one small one yesterday. Her legs and tail are still very limp. Could this be from her being so starved or is it most likely a deeper underlying problem?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We dont know why this is. But people totally exhausted, starved almost to death and emaciated, do often exhibit such. So proceed along the lines of helping an emaciated, exhausted etc....

With any luck it will turn. So both massage, and talk lotsa friendly to her, make friendly noises. To arise her will to live, to fight for life. Perhaps even carry at your chest.

Make do her a furry companion, a teddy bear perrhaps. Or make it yourself, of filled fleece.
Fleece feels almost as mommas fur...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's doing well! Her upper body seems to be getting stronger, she's supporting herself upright a little bit more. I definitely need to get more fluids in her body and I will try the toothbrush stimulation! I got her to pee a decent amount this morning, but I'm still worried because no poops since one small one yesterday. Her legs and tail are still very limp. Could this be from her being so starved or is it most likely a deeper underlying problem?
Are you able to find a vet open?

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No vets in my area are open today :( I'm hoping that my vet will be able to get me in early tomorrow before I have to go to work. She is starting to move her back legs a tiny bit more!! Thank you for your help everyone!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm hoping she will recover for you more and more as she gets her strength back!

Thank you for saving her! :)

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we're heading down the right road! We just fed her and massaged her legs and we can really feel her starting to get some tension and movement back in them!! She's very alert and mentally aware, which is a great sign. She also seems to be peeing a bit on her own as well, which is also good. How controlled her bladder movements are, I'm not sure. I'm excited and anxious to take her to the vet tomorrow

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is great news! You guys are doing such a good job. Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow! :)

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here she is getting some cleaning time and physical therapy! Her energy levels really seem to be picking up! ❤❤
IMG_1765.JPG

Sylviakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: She had a massive poop! Downside - pulled a huge tapeworm out afterward At least I'm closer to knowing some of her ailments!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy! She definitely will benefit from wormimg.

A long "worm" is actually probably a roundworm or tapeworm, which are parasites. She will need Panacur for that. Please let the vet know! :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep up the great work!