Urgent Dead Kittens, Vet Said No More But Contractions!?

koahwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

bit stressed hope someone could maybe help

My poor Noia has had a terrible weekend. Saturday morning gave birth to a dead kitten which was premature. Sunday around 5 am another premature kitten alive but didn't make it. Sunday night another dead one...slightly deformed.

We went to the vet yesterday and they had a feel and said there were no more kittens but that she had a uterine infection so tomorrow there is a morning appointment for a hysterectomy. She has been completely fine, eating and drinking like normal, looking for hug etc until about 2 hours ago.

She started meowing loudly as if searching for something and was restless. About and hour later she started making the same cries as just before the births of the others and searching for the nest I had made before. I remade it quickly and she got inside. I have seen definite contractions although now there haven't been any large ones for about 20-40 minutes and she is now very quiet. She is liking her vaginal area a lot and there is a thick reddish pink discharge. Is it possible there could be another kitten, or is there afterbirth situation like this?

Shes 1yr 6mths and this is her first pregnancy...it was accidental and we only found out when we took to get her spayed. I am unwilling to go to the emergency vet as we went on saturday and they were pretty unhelpful, said she was fine but wanted to do a c-section and charge us €500 euros. Reckon I can wait until tomorrow morning?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry both of you are going through this. Would your vet let you pick up a prescription for an antibiotic to get her started on it before tomorrow’s spay surgery?

She may have been experiencing after pains in order for her uterus to contract and expel any leftover material, in much the same way that a woman bleeds after a vaginal delivery.

It sounds like she should be able to wait for her appointment tomorrow, but please keep us posted.

K koahwhite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koahwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have antibiotics already that they started her on yesterday! She's quietened down now, left the nest and is on my bed sleeping. Making the occasional squeak. I hope it's contractions for that reason. I can't deal with more dead kittens! Thank you so much x