Urgent Cat with FIP

dks2898

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly my cat was diagnosed with FIP

I have a second one is it contagious what do I need to do to prevent transmittion they already share everything this past week im lost

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm terribly sorry your cat was diagnosed with FIP. We also had a very young cat awhile back who had the disease so I can appreciate and empathize what you're going through. 🤗 I thought this thread might help answer your question:
Cleaning up after FIP
I'm sure other members will come along to share their experience with FIP in a multi-cat household.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dks2898

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm terribly sorry your cat was diagnosed with FIP. We also had a very young cat awhile back who had the disease so I can appreciate and empathize what you're going through. 🤗 I thought this thread might help answer your question:
Cleaning up after FIP
I'm sure other members will come along to share their experience with FIP in a multi-cat household.
Thanks for the reply im devastated and trying my best, im mostly afraid for my other cat they share everything up until the last two days I will clean the house but i feel bad keeping my FIP kitty in a room alone
idk what to do if there's anyone with similar experience pls help

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The best advice I can offer is to join the facebook group FIP warriors. Do that now if you can. They have allot of information there and can help. FIP is not a death sentence anymore. There are treatments available.

FIP happens when a cat gets a coronavirus and for some unknown reason the virus mutates into FIP in some cats. If you do a coronavirus titer in a cat you will see that most cats have been exposed to coronavirus and overcame it yet the antibodies are still present in their blood. This does not mean they have the virus still or that they are contagious at that point. But this coronavirus can mutate in some cats causing Feline Infectious Peritonitis, and this can present as the dry form or the wet form. It is not known why in some cats the virus mutates, but it does. Some people believe that it has to do with specific markers in some cats DNA, but as far as I know that has not been proven or disproven.

In my personal experience I would see it allot in overcrowded catteries and breeding facilities. Many cats from the same cattery would have it. I have also seen kittens that didn't thrive or single orphaned kittens get it. I know that coronavirus in cats is shed in the feces.

Join the facebook group. You will get allot of information there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are most infectious during the initial point of contracting FIP and for two to four weeks after. Then there is a period when they are not shedding the virus. so hopefully your cat has already gone through the most infectious stage, and is not contagious right now. It is mainly spread through their feces, so cleaning the litter box frequently is a must. My heart breaks for you, I'll pray for you to find the strength to get through this. My cats have leukemia and I never did get the others tested because it didn't matter, I would never separate them. But they had been together for 5 years. Just treat the symptoms as they come up the best you can, and most of all, just love that sweet little one as long as you can......

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had coronavirus in my feral colonies and while some kittens got FIP, many did not. PLEASE consider the earlier recommendation about joining Facebook's "FIP Warriors" . I have cats 8-6 years old whose siblings died of FIP but these cats recovered; they tend to get stomatitis and I am now dealing with that but at least they had some good years. It's important to note about my experiences that because the cats & kittens were very feral, they had only primitive care so the outcomes were bleak since options were supportive care such as antibiotics, supplements and herbs.
I have a blended group of kitties which includes one of my older FIP survivors - no on has taken ill in almost 3 years of living together.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Joining the above-mentioned group would be a great place to get some help/advice. FIP is a mutation of the coronavirus - that practically 80% of all cats have. The mutation can occur for various reasons, but as far as I know one cat having the virus mutate does not mean any other cats who have the virus will mutate from exposure to that cat.

There is a titer test to determine whether or not a cat has the coronavirus - you could have that done to see if your other cat already has the virus. In that case, there would be no reason to keep them separate, from what I understand.