URGENT- cancer in my cats intestine and liver

brit07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Persia is 10 years old and has been suffering from IBD for a little while. Persia has just gotten a diagnosis today from the vets after some scans and x-rays that she has cancer in both the intestine and liver. I believe the cancer the vets suspect she has is called adenocarcinoma. My vets were conscious of the fact that surgery would be unlikely to work in this scenario and that chemotherapy might make her quite poorly and be quite cruel I suppose. I was just wanting some other opinions on the situation as I don’t want to give up on Persia but I also don’t want her to have no quality of life. The vet suspects she has weeks, perhaps months left based on the scans and x-rays so I’m desperate for alternative advice ASAP please.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about Persia's cancer. I would at least pursue chemotherapy options. Most of the time the doses that are used on cats do not cause the side effects seen in humans, so Persia might do OK with chemo. Is she already on prednisolone for the IBD? If not, that might also be something to discuss with the vet. And, of course, make sure you have access to pain meds if/when they are needed.

I really have nothing else to offer but hope that other members will come along soon with some advice/options.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If nothing else, at least have a consult with an animal oncologist. As stated above, cats normally handle chemo much better than humans, although we don't know Persia's complete medical history and are not Vets.

If surgery and/or chemo are definitely ruled out, then as far as I know, the next resort is giving her as much love as you can until you see her begin to falter, then let her go before she suffers :hugs: . It's a touch situation to be in, one so many of us have been in before you and will be in again, I'm sure. But it's still never easy. I'm so sorry.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS albeit under sad circumstances. I agree with the above members that cats do not exhibit the same side effects with chemo as humans and a consult with an oncologist would give you peace of mind. One of our cats was diagnosed with a serious and non-reversible cancer and even with pain meds she was struggling. This is by far one of the most difficult choices we have to make but if you have a consult hopefully it will answer some of your questions so that you can make an informed decision. Our thoughts are with you and we are always here for support. 🤗