Urgent advice needed

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I live on a large private property that has several residences, I had an elderly neighbor that died about 2 weeks ago, he hoarded cats , and was a loner so his cats only knew him, and act pretty wild towards people they do not know, I have been feeding them, and trying to find homes, and I have lined up some homes, but still working on getting them tamed enough to be caught, the owner of property is going to start shooting them tomorrow he says, and a couple that lives nearby told me to stop feeding them altogether so they will "disappear" , I am in tears, I have had some major conflicts with the property owner, and some of the people that work for him, ( which were some of ones telling me to not care for them ) also I live quite near where these cats are living/hiding, and if they start shooting bullets could easily hit my place, or my cats, I do not have the money to just pick up, and move, nor a place to even move to, although I am going to start desperately looking tomorrow, any advice would be great, thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you live but I’m many places that is illegal. Not all though. Google the county, town, city, state ordinances where the cats live and you may find out if it is illegal. Some places that is a felony and punishable by jail time or huge fines. If you google stray cat rescues you may find help either way. Feral rescuers as well. Some groups will relocate colonies and you can inform the owner that “he can save money on ammunition!” I am so vet sorry and this must be horrifying. An attorney might be able to help. It is a risk to have this person firing randomly. Perhaps local police or sheriff might intervene on that end. If legal aid is available you might try them on behalf of yourself and cats. The Humane Society, Alley Cat Allies, Bestfriends.org can be contacted in this country and if you do, tell them it is an urgent emergency. I can understand that you want to leave and if you do, maybe you can pull some of the cats out yourself by using a humane trap. Many groups and Humane societies or even Animal Control will lend traps. Rescue groups too. If you are there and the person shoots near you, I would definitely report that as dangerous behavior. If you have fears of this person, reach out for help anywhere immediately. An unbalanced person should not have a lethal weapon. Although they are not the first group I would suggest, PETA might offer help. A lot depends on what country and state in which you live but maybe you can find some group near you via Facebook, Instagram or any other social media that has an active group where you live. Did the person that loved them have any relatives that might be able to claim ownership of the cats until this can be solved? If so, that may buy some time legally. Even if they don’t want the cats, they could be a stumbling block for the property owner. Animal lovers often join together and there is strength in numbers. Networking can work wonders. You could post here what country or state and maybe others here will know more to help. Our hearts are with you and those kitties. It sounds like some of the neighbors care since they suggested the cats should be in hiding. Perhaps you can even lead them into hiding by taking food to another place? If you trust a neighbor you might even ask them to help. You have my deepest gratitude for caring about these kitties. Try everything and if you are told that a group cannot help, ask if they know of anyone who can. Sometimes it takes many calls, texts and emails so hang in there. :alright::hugs:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. In some jurisdictions, firing a rifle or handgun without good reason (defense) is illegal, especially if you are within city limits.
It's not illegal to own the gun. It's illegal to fire it within city or town borders unless there is reason but killing cats is NOT a reason.

If those people really want to "get rid of" those cats, they need to call Animal Control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jodieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, thank you for replies, the next morning after I made this post one the of the hired men of owner was standing outside of his truck over by where the elderly man that passed place was rifle in hand, could see him lighting cig he was that close, I would not leave for work until he left, and I went up to shop where he works, and we had words, and I told him what would happen if any of my cats were intentionally, or unintentionally harmed, so he agreed to start helping me catch them, as of me writing this tonight I have caught, and rehomed 15, with at least 3 more to go.

I did speak to several rescues, all of which were full, with waiting list, and one lady did tell me that it is a class d felony in our state, but I am in a very rural , farming, area, the owner of this entire property is pretty well known, and feared, the animal control of the area actually lived out here in an apartment towards front of property for quite a while ( he does not currently ) and he knew about the older man, and his hoarding of cats, and never did anything, I suspect he also thought it in his best interest to keep quiet, but I let them know that I would flip the crazy switch if my cats were put in danger, especially when i had been feeding, running ads, and actively trying to catch the cats.