Upper respiratory infection help

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought home a kitten a few weeks ago. When we got her she had some eye discharge. The humane society had given her oral antibiotic and eye drops. I took her to our vet who prescribed a different eye drop stating she had probably had an upper respiratory infection. She got better. Fast forward two weeks one of our boys (Colossus)started sneezing then got eye discharge (clear snot but white/light yellow eye discharge) the vet told me to use the same drops for our kitten. We ran out and that kind was on back order so they gave a different kind. He has been on the drops for 6 days. Now our other boy (Senior)is starting to get eye discharge so have been giving him the drops since yesterday. Rowan had discharge a few days ago again in one eye but it has cleared. Colossus is still sneezing some and both eyes are runny with occasional slight yellow or white discharge. The vet has never prescribed an oral antibiotic because the nasal discharge is clear. Should I be requesting an oral antibiotic or do we just let it run its course? I have started adding lysine to their food even tho their are mixed studies on its effectiveness.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't see why you can't pose the question to your vet about why oral antibiotics aren't also being prescribed. I realize you said it was because the nasal discharge has been clear, but there is no reason not to tell the vet know where things stand with your cats now and whether or not they might want to reconsider an oral antibiotic as well. It never hurts to ask.

If the answer is still no, ask the vet how long would be considered normal for this to clear up with the eye drops, and then if anything negatively changes or doesn't improve, I would be calling the vet daily to give updates.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This happened to me several years ago with a rescued kitten who was, incidentally, taken to the vet and isolated for two weeks, then cleared by the vet. This kind of thing is highly contagious even if you are doing all the right things. Everyone got it, but my vet did give me antibiotics for everyone in the house. Definitely call back and ask about some follow up help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were you thinking about talking to a different vet?
No I was just curious if I should be asking them for an antibiotic. Or really
Were you thinking about talking to a different vet?
No, just wanted to see if antibiotics were the norm for upper respiratory infections or if it needed to run its course. I called them back and was given antibiotics tho he started looking and seemingly feeling better the morning after I wrote this. Fingers crossed.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see why you can't pose the question to your vet about why oral antibiotics aren't also being prescribed. I realize you said it was because the nasal discharge has been clear, but there is no reason not to tell the vet know where things stand with your cats now and whether or not they might want to reconsider an oral antibiotic as well. It never hurts to ask.

If the answer is still no, ask the vet how long would be considered normal for this to clear up with the eye drops, and then if anything negatively changes or doesn't improve, I would be calling the vet daily to give updates.
I talked to them and she prescribed an antibiotic. She said the eye discharge could last two weeks and if not better then to bring him in. Luckily yesterday morning prior to getting the antibiotics he started looking better and playing around so hopefully he is on the mend. Thank you!!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened to me several years ago with a rescued kitten who was, incidentally, taken to the vet and isolated for two weeks, then cleared by the vet. This kind of thing is highly contagious even if you are doing all the right things. Everyone got it, but my vet did give me antibiotics for everyone in the house. Definitely call back and ask about some follow up help.
I am amazed at how contagious it is even when a cat isn’t showing symptoms. We isolated her for a while when we brought her home and she had no symptoms when we let her around the others and 3 out of 4 still caught it. Hoping our other girl doesn’t get it. She prescribed azythromycin today when I called in. Luckily Colossus started showing signs of improvement yesterday and so far senior just has one eye with discharge and no other issues.