Update on "Lacy"

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted about a month ago that there was a stray around my apartment that had taken up residence as our outside kitty. After trying to find her owner (with no luck) she disappeared for about a month.

Well Thursday morning I walked out the door to go to work and there she was at the front door asking for breakfast. She had gotten skinnier but was still as sweet as ever. So I loaded her up in the car and took her to the clinic. She was acting like she was in heat, rolling around and carrying on. And all the male cats at the clinic were VERY interested (she was not,
), thus reaffirming my suspicions she was in heat.

Well when I had her on the table shaving her for her spay, low and behold she had an abdominal scar. She was already spayed! But we knew she was acting crazy so we opened her up expecting to find whoever had spayed her had left some tissue which will make a female essentially stay in heat. We were right. It was a botched spay job. Her body wall hadn't even healed yet (it should have with the amount of scaring she had). And there was a tiny little piece of uterian tissue left. We removed it and she woke up in a lot of pain. It was a hard 24 hours for her. She became INCREDIBLY aggressive since she was in so much pain.

Well I went up there last night to check on her and she's back to her normal sweet self! I'm going to keep her up at the clinic until we remove her sutures. I have posted signs throughout my apartment complex with no results. If there isn't any word by Friday I'm going to try to adopt her out. I'd love to keep her, but three cats in a one bedroom is my limit. I considered keeping her as an outside cat, but with the traffic around here and the fact we're hoping to move soon, I think it would be best to rehome her.

Josh is afraid I'm essentially adopting out somebody's pet, but my theory is if they haven't been looking for her and they obviously don't take care of her...well, I'm still a little torn, but I want what is best for her. Is it my place to do this? I don't know..... The night I took her in to the clinic we had a terrible storm with multiple tornadoes and flash flooding.... I can't imagine what would have happened to that poor girl if I hadn't got her then.

I'm calling her Lacy. She's so bubbly and cute it just fits.

So, what are your opinions? Am I wrong for taking this cat? For all I know somebody moved out and left her! But there's always a possibility somebody is waiting for her to come home.....

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she looked skinnier and was in need of medical attention even if she was anyones cat they weren't looking after her very well. So, I think you did the right thing. If they were really missing her they would put up flyers and contact the shelters and vets offices. So, if no one has said anything by now I think you are in the clear of being a catnapper.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right in taking care of Lucy. If they don't care enough to look for her IMO go right ahead. I've done it many times.

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What? Psshh, I think you're doing exactly the right thing. If her previous owners were seriously looking for her, they would have found her by now. Since they haven't found her, I assume they don't care enough about her wellbeing. And if Lacy wanted to return to her owners, I doubt she'd come back to YOUR doorstep. =)

I hope she finds a good home. Good luck!

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely keep her and find her a home that will actually take care of her. If she had any people and they haven't bothered to look for her, then they don't deserve her.