Update on DH's Step-Dad

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I should let everyone know, Quentin was moved to a nursing home yesterday. It's only 2 blocks from our home, so I'll be able to walk up there any time.
He's had some really rough days, some days when he's pretty coherent, other days when you can't make sense of much he says. Last week he spent 4 days on the 'nothing by mouth' list because liquids are going to his lungs. He's now on 'thickened liquids' that he's fed with a spoon. He is able to feed himself now (most of the time), but is still on oxygen and has a catheter. He's up with a walker, but spends a lot of time in bed.
All in all, considering we were planning his funeral 2 1/2 weeks ago and his dr. said he wasn't going to make it, things have really turned around. I think we owe a lot of his miraculous come-back to the prayers and vibes he was receiving from people he doesn't know---that would be all of you lovely people. Dave and I want to thank you for keeping Quentin in your prayers.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is good he is doing a bit better and how nice that he is so close to your home. Will continue to send off many prayers for him, you and your family

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad he's doing better. Will continue to think good thoughts and send lots of for him.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So glad he is doing better. The power of good thoughts is strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

The power of good thoughts is strong.
I agree completely! Thanks, everyone!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited Quentin this afternoon; he was in a wheel chair, fully dressed, and had just come back from the dining room. (the chicken noodle soup wasn't too bad, but he can't have any salt
) We visited for a bit, I pointed out the activity chart in his room, but he said the print was too small for him to read. I found a couple of activities that sounded like something he would enjoy, and his nurse assured me she would let the activity people know that he wanted to get involved. He's bored to tears; he has a tv but his hearing is so bad that he really can't hear it.

He's still on thickened liquids and oxygen, but he looks so much better. I asked him if he'd like me to bring him something to read and he said, "I kind of like those National Enquirer papers"
Next time I visit him, I'll have a stack of gossip papers under my arm.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's doing better, and that you are able to go visit him

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so wonderful! Bless his heart, and yours for keeping him company. I hope he keeps getting better and better.

Y'know, I have an 89-year-old uncle in a really great nursing home in Ohio... and the other day, my cousin sent us a copy of the home's newsletter. Uncle Ray's picture was in there as the horseshoe champion of the month, and he was grinning from ear to ear!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Y'know, I have an 89-year-old uncle in a really great nursing home in Ohio... and the other day, my cousin sent us a copy of the home's newsletter. Uncle Ray's picture was in there as the horseshoe champion of the month, and he was grinning from ear to ear!
That's wonderful!

Each time I visit Quentin I read the activity calendar to him; each resident has one posted in his/her room. The print is too small for him to read, and he just won't ask the aide to read it to him. I don't think he's actually gone to any activities yet; I need to get him to propel his wheelchair himself. He's relying on others to push him where ever he wants to go, but I think he's capable of doing it himsefl. I might just take some paper and a marker with me next time and write out the different activities that he's interested in; if it's in big bold letters he'll have no excuse for not going.