Update on Boo's Case

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for went through with Boo and what you are continuing to deal with!

I am in no way comparing Boo to an automobile, but perhaps it will help to compare the vet's insurances with automobile insurance. If someone hit you in your car, would you not expect the insurance company to pay damages, both to replace/repair your car, but also to make up for any injuries to yourself, time missed from work, etc? At the same time, would you not expect the police to continue persuing the person that hit you if there was cause (ie. drunk driving, careless driving, etc.). The police's job is to make sure that the roads are safe and free of drivers who make them unsafe.

You SHOULD be paid for vet costs as well as damages. It is the insurance company's responsibility to pay this. However, it shouldn't stop the board from determining if the vet should be penalized. Think of the board like the police....their job is to make sure that pets are safe under vets' care.

I hope that makes sense....and that things start looking up for you soon!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to keep y'all waiting I just saw this thread.

When you accept a settlement you can expect to receive the same paperwork you got the last time, so don't be surprised when it comes.

What is your contingency plan in this case? If the vet board does not fine or give him a record, will you be satisfied with having reported him and left the situation to their care, or will you feel the need to pursue another avenue? Accepting the settlement may prevent you from doing anything to him aside from contacting the board.

The release should indicate that you have been indemnified (made whole from) your loss. Even though they can't reverse the situation and bring Boo back to you, you are signing that by receiving the settlement you feel compensated for what the vet's error cost you. This document would prevent you from filing any personal or civil court lawsuits against the vet for more damages, or trying to come back and ask for anything else as far as compensation. It shouldn't prevent you from pursuing the legal aspect of what was done to Boo, simply the financial one.

(But please consider that I am licensed to practice insurance in a different state than yours, and clarify everything with a licensed professional for your state before signing.)