Update - haven't been here in a while

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't posted - but here's what happened.

I had a stress test early June that revealed some abnormalities. Cardiologist scheduled a stent procedure, but once he looked at my heart he had me see the surgeon for by-pass. What a shock! I had quadruple bypass surgery on June 23. It was a horrendous procedure that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. But I am SLOWLY progressing. Feeling a little stronger each day. It's a long recuperation procedure - surgeon said figure 6 mos to get to 100%. But I hope to do it sooner. I'm doing my walking each day, still have a persistent cough (which I understand is normal with this procedure), am starting cardio rehab exercises where you are monitored doing exercises. My blood pressure is good, appetite starting to come back. I get very tired and days feel so depressed I do nothing but cry. But the people who have been thru this say it is part of the healing process.

Just wanted to update you on what has been happening. Will keep you posted.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that is a lot to go through.  I am so glad you are recovering well.  I have known two people who had bypass surgery and they both went through a period of depression.  I don't know the why of it but yes depression is very common.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
((((Hugs)))))

What a horrible year for you!! Now it is going to improve!! 

I know there have been many studies, and it is a known fact that people who got through a major cardiac surgery, become more depressed and can even become forgetful.. it is all because of the 'insult' (surgery) which has been given to your body and brain...

((hugs))

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lana, good to hear from you, but so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad to hear you're moving along with your therapy. Sorry to hear it's left you feeling depressed. I hope you feel better soon. If you're allowed to take any natural supplements right now, Holy Basil capsules might help. It helps for a lot of things. I take it every day, & love it.
You can google it for the info. I've found good brands & prices on amazon.
If you can, hopefully it will help. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Hugs!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to hear this, Lana. :hugs: I do hope you improve each and every day, :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank for your replies and encouragement. Fortunately the crying/depressed days are minimal. Overall I'm feeling stronger and better. Just this cough that is so annoying, but hopefully that will improve. This was a horrible experience, but of course necessary = when you consider the alternative. Thank goodness they found the problem when they did and modern medicine is amazing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lana, I think the crying and depression are very normal with open heart surgery. I don't know why that is, but that's what I've always heard. I'm glad you're doing better now. I've been wanting to call you, but also want to wait until you're strong enough to be able to talk for a while. I know it was bad for you and that you weren't expecting any of this. I'm glad you're going to be OK.....and you ARE going to be OK. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Lana. I'm sorry you had to undergo such major surgery, but it's good to hear you're feeling stronger every day. Lots of :vibes:

Last edited: