Unwell or Anxiety?

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - sorry for the long post. Little TMI in therw

We’ve had our cat Teddy for 6 months. He was a rescue and from the day we brought him home has been an absolute joy. He really is the perfect cat for our family.

One month ago we brought home Oscar who was with Teddy at the same shelter, in the same area. They bonded immediately - sleeping, playing and just being together.

On Tuesday we bought home a foster kitty. The shelter had called asking if we’d be able to temporarily foster as this kitty was absolutely terrified of the shelter environment. We agreed. He’s very quiet and spends most of the day hiding under the sofa, venturing out later at night.

Wednesday was uneventful however - on Thursday morning the litter boxes were an absolute mess. I discovered that our sweet Teddy had diarrhea. It wasn’t a huge amount but was dripping everywhere.

He was eating and drinking so I kept an eye during the day. At around 6pm last night he “just didn’t seem right” so I took him to the vet. They checked him over and couldn’t find anything wrong. They gave him something for his diarrhea and put it down to stress from a third cat in the house and attention seeking.

The litter box wasn’t as messy this morning but he’s obviously still had loose stools. Again he is still eating and drinking. He’s wandering around but not playing with Oscar like he usually does.

Can cats display symptoms of stress and anxiety through seeming unwell as the vet has suggested - or do I need to seek out another vet?!

Thanks in advance 💙

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It very well could be stress. Oscar was known to Teddy so even though somewhat stressful because of the long separation, it was not a huge deal. Then comes the foster kitty, which on top of the other stressors of a new cat a month ago and being in a new home for 6 months, was just a little too much. Cats absolutely hate change and Teddy has been through quite a bit. I commend you for taking in that foster kitty, he needed someone badly and you stepped up. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you continue to do so Teddy would get used to new faces. It just takes time. Remember to keep any new cats separated from the housecats for a while, and take baby steps in introductions. As Teddy gets much more comfortable in his new surroundings and more sure of his place in the household, he won't get near as stressed.
Diarrhea may also be not related to the new cat at all, it could be related to something he ate, like a milk product (which is very known to cause stomach upset) or even treats, I gave my cat a few too many one day, and he battled diarrhea for two days. You might plug in a few Comfort Zone diffusers to spread calming pheromones. As long as Teddy is eating and drinking, and encourage water during this, he should be fine. This just all takes time.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. We are considering keeping the little foster for ourselves as he’s such a sweetie but I do worry the affect this will have on Teddy. I don’t know whether his bout of diarrhea is down to anxiety, he’s a very laid back guy, or purely coincidental that he started feeling unwell within a day of little foster’s arrival. He isn’t acting aggressively towards our newcomer. Aside for the toilet issue he just seems sad. Will keep an eye on him over the next couple of days and if he remains the same I will go to a different vet. Oscar is exactly as he was before the new addition and misses his playmate in Teddy.
On another note - little foster doesn’t seem to have eaten at all today and was sick earlier.
It’s like a sick ward here at the moment!!

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found a video I took on Wednesday which is forgot about - Teddy is cleaning little foster 🤔

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this could be related to stress/change in diet. If the foster is unwell, could very well pass on something to the other cats. If the not eating continues past two days, call who you fostered from and ask for him to be examined/looed at, or what they advise. go to Walmart/pet store and pick up some Delectable Lickables in the stew, not the bisque. It is in the treat section. I give all my meds in these, and keep some extra if one of my cats stops eating. Sometimes it is the ONLY thing that has kept them going.

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little foster has now eaten and seems happy. Teddy is still having small amounts of loose poop. He’s still eating and drinking but very quiet. Think I’ll take him back to the vet tomorrow. Thank you.