Unwanted Feral

Steve Wilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house came with 2 yard cats living under my back porch. The previous owner took her 2 inside cats but left these 2 simi friendly outside cats. They will perch on my porch banisters sometimes, but keep their distance from me. I disposed of several feeding and watering bowls that were in the yard and empty cat food cans and I haven't feed the cats since the home purchase one month ago, and they haven't left yet. I live in a neighborhood, in a warm climate down south, and advertised their give away in a neighborhood online site, no takers. Sorry, although I would never harm an animal, and my heart goes out to these 2 cats, what responsibility do I have to feed these 2 cats? I wish for these 2 cats to have a normal cats life, with no unnecessary suffering, just not at my house. What should I do??

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feed them! That was there home and we’re probably fed. Please call rescue groups in your area and they can trap and rescue them. Please don’t starve them it’s cruel especially since food was given in the past. Call veterinary offices they will refer you to don’t give up. If they are semi friendly they probably are friendly just skittish from being outside. I adopted many ferals and they are all couch potatoes now. Please help them and don’t ignore them. Call human society too they also have referrals it people their that can help them. I would call a lot of people to reach out and save them. They don’t do any harm . Sad the previous owner deserted them. So unfair to these animal and left to survive on their own. Please reach out to a lot of rescue groups even wildlife people can refer you. So sorry for them. Keep us updated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Technically speaking you have no responsibility to these poor babies. But there is a moral responsibility that we hope most people feel when it comes to strays/ferals that have become reliant on humans for their food and water. I know you didn't start this process, but you can at least see if you can't find a solution to stop the process that has a more favorable outcome for them as opposed to hoping they just go away. The fact that they are at least friendly to a degree should help in finding others who might be willing to help.

As mentioned above reaching out to local rescue groups, SPCA, and even shelters are places to start asking about options for helping them. If you want, you can tell us your location, and we will do the search to find some contacts for you.

You could also check around with nearby neighbors to see if any are already feeding these cats too. If that would be the case, you could work with them to get these cats 'migrated' to their property over time. Talking individually with your neighbors could also elicit some interest in helping out that they might not otherwise offer with just a post on a neighborhood web site. Some folks are likely already involved in caring for strays/ferals but don't want to 'volunteer' their services to additional people. They do tend to be the ones that will help when asked 'in person'.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What should I do??
Hi
Do either or both of these cats have one ear that has been cut at an angle? Do they look skinny and raggedy, or somewhat filled out and are having decent looking fur?

If an ear has been cut, they're likely neutered/spayed which is good information to have for someone you might be talking to who isn't already familiar with them.

If they're looking decent, they're being fed and presumably watered somewhere else. As mentioned, having a chat with your neighbors, with a photo or two, can be helpful all around :)

It's also entirely possible that without feeding from you, they may move on by their own accord.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steve Wilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank everyone for the advice. One I haven't seen lately. The other looks healthy and can stay under my porch. So sad we don't live in a perfect world with no suffering. I'm 74 and never chose to take on the responsibility of an animal but if I made that choice, would do so with love. I've never had children, therefore no grand children, but if had, would love them forever. Thank ya'll.