Unsure if I should keep kittens

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a young mother who gave birth to 5 kittens. They’re 9 weeks old this week. I’ve rehomed two and am working on a third. I’m conflicted about the other two. They’re bonded. And I didn’t plan on getting their mother, but now I’m definitely keeping her. I would prefer to have multiple cats and she hasn’t shown signs of aggression so I feel she’d get on well with other cats.
My worry is that if I keep the bonded kittens she won’t get on well with them and I won’t know until they’re a bit older. The area I live in has so many unwanted kittens that I'm afraid if I let them get to say 14 weeks old no one will want them because they could just adopt a cute little 8 week old kitten so easily. I do not want to live in a house with cats who don’t get along. Alternatively I was thinking I could rehome them and then foster. Then if an older cat and her got along I could adopt him.
Before Maeve showed up I had been looking at senior cats in shelters. I like the idea of giving an older cat a chance who otherwise might get looked over.
I know I have to make this decision myself. But I’ve never dealt with a mother cat and her kittens before so I don’t really know the potential there. I would appreciate any opinions.
I would also like to thank everyone who gave me advice when she had mastitis. I went against the vets advice and let her continue nursing and I feel it worked out best for all of us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had "families" of cats as I work with ferals. For years I had a grandmother and two grandchildren and currently have two sisters. I have not have problems with them but, as was said, it is your decision. Either way is fine...if you can rehome the kittens, an older cat gets a home and, if not, the kittens do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray who had 4 kittens a few years back. I kept mom and all 4 kittens. Everyone was spayed and neutered and the family gets along beautifully and are very bonded and close. It’s been 7 years and I do not regret it! I also have other cats. For the most part, they all get along!

Whatever you decide, do not separate the bonded kittens. Has mom been spayed yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray who had 4 kittens a few years back. I kept mom and all 4 kittens. Everyone was spayed and neutered and the family gets along beautifully and are very bonded and close. It’s been 7 years and I do not regret it! I also have other cats. For the most part, they all get along!

Whatever you decide, do not separate the bonded kittens. Has mom been spayed yet?
That’s good to hear. There was another bonded pair and I didn’t rehome them together. I felt kind of desperate to find good homes and the woman who took the first kitten was very back and forth on taking the other one and eventually decided not to. She wanted to wait a week to take the one she did take and I should have let her as she would have flaked. I also had believed and more so now that the kitten she adopted was his mothers favorite. She did the gentle play fighting with him the most. I regret adopting him out to her and especially without his brother now. I’m just trying to move forward though. This has been an incredibly stressful situation all around. How naïve I was thinking I’d make the most of it when I found out the mother was pregnant and that it would be “fun”. And I have rehomed 16 cats now so it’s not like I am brand new to that. But it is my first (and most likely last) time with a mother and her kittens and I suppose there’s always more to learn.
The mother is getting spayed on the 6th. I can’t wait! Rehomed another one yesterday and still have the bonded pair. Still haven’t made my mind up. I might post an ad and only adopt them out if I feel Extra good about the potential adopter. I would just feel really bad if their mother ended up sad and alone with no say in the matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is never easy and never really fun, no matter how well it all turns out in the end. While it is in progress, it is stressful and uncertain.
Thank you for helping this family.
Thank you! I have so much respect for people who help cats and controlling the population. It’s largely so thankless. I just remind myself that if I’ve picked good homes the kittens will be happy in the long run and so will the humans.