Unspayed Female Got Out

Anna729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 weeks ago I took in an unspayed female around 9 months old. The neighbors left her when they moved. I do have an appointment set up for her to be spayed but not until the 25th of May ( when I have the money). Today she slipped out the door and was running around outside chasing bugs. I tried to get her in the house for over an hour but I couldn't do it. I had to leave to pick kids up from school and was gone for about 45 mins. When I came home she was under a trailer and she came right to me. She came in the house and played down on her side and thumped her tail on the floor..very relaxed. The last few days she has been so lovable and when I pet her the tail goes to tje side and the butt is in the air. I think sje may be in heat?? Even though I haven't seen any other cats around for a few weeks could it be possible that she mated while I was gone? Her behaviour changed quite a bit in the time I was gone. Would I notice any physical signs if she had mated? Thanks for any advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, those were signs of heat. It's quite possible she mated. Unspayed cats let outside while in heat usually do.

You can still have her spayed next month regardless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By then she would be 3 weeks along. Would I know if she is pregnant by then? I have never had a pregnant cat before. Oh my gosh..I hope she didn't mate. She just seemed interested in the bugs and I haven't seen any other cats around. So there wouldn't be any physical signs that she had mated? Thank you for your reply :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A Anna729

It's hard to say. One of the first signs of pregnancy is nipples "pinking" up at around 21 days.

It's also possible that she just tired herself out playing, no mating occurred, and her heat cycle is ending.

Let's hope that's the case! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spay at three weeks pregnant is not different from a normal spay surgically, and would end the pregnancy.

A litter of kittens is a LOT more expensive than a spay, including an emergency fund in case mom or kittens need vet help.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It only takes a second literally for cats to mate ! Hopefully she will be find