Unexpected death

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely traumatized and heartbroken that my sweet boy died today.

His breathing the past few days was different. He wasnt gasping or struggling just harder. I brought him to the vet today and he had a pleural effusion. He had fluid and blood in and around his lungs. When they went to drain it he went into cardiac arrest. They tried 3 rounds of CPR but he never came back.

I’m so confused on how this happened or why this happened. I am so completely heartbroken. He was only 2
IMG_2567.jpeg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Sudden loss makes it harder to process sometimes. All living things pass at some point and usually with not much say in the matter. It always feels unfair when our baby passes when they're young - when the natural order of things seems out of whack. Your baby likely had something congenital that might not have been avoided. You did nothing wrong. My uncle actually had a cat pass of something similar when it was around the same age. Your boy was completely adorable (that mustache!) 😍. I hope you can find ways to honor his life. His life, no matter how short, was blessed by you and you were of his. Take care of yourself. Most of us here have lost a baby and know how hard it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Sudden loss makes it harder to process sometimes. All living things pass at some point and usually with not much say in the matter. It always feels unfair when our baby passes when they're young - when the natural order of things seems out of whack. Your baby likely had something congenital that might not have been avoided. You did nothing wrong. My uncle actually had a cat pass of something similar when it was around the same age. Your boy was completely adorable (that mustache!) 😍. I hope you can find ways to honor his life. His life, no matter how short, was blessed by you and you were of his. Take care of yourself. Most of us here have lost a baby and know how hard it is.
Thank you. It is so unfair. I still have his brother so I need to consider what kind of testing I need to get done or if there even if anything

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A diuretic could have been an alternitive to physical drainage. Kabuto had/s PE as well and was perscribed a diuretic to drain the fluid.
You may want to ask about diuretics if it happens again.

It is often caused by congestive heart disease and it is always very risky putting animals (and people) under when they have a preexisting heart condition.

CHF can be genetic. Burmese cats and siamese like cats are geneticly predisposed to heart issues unfortunatly it seems.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Again, I am so sorry for your loss. As others have said, and as I alluded to in your other thread, the wound or trauma often associated with this condition would not apply to him. I am also guessing that he did not have FIP. This may have been a congenital condition and, as with many of them, they manifest themselves very suddenly with no forewarning which might have allowed for a proactive approach.

I have a 2 year old flame point boy who had has rocky health so far and I have received more cautions from his vets about possible future problems than I have in all my years of rescuing ferals. When you feel that you are able to do so, try to have a very thorough discussion with your vet about what he thinks may possibly have caused this and what possible steps you might follow going forward with your other cat.

He looks so supremely happy in the pics you have posted of him. You clearly gave him a wonderful life and I hope that you can take some comfort in that.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A diuretic could have been an alternitive to physical drainage. Kabuto had/s PE as well and was perscribed a diuretic to drain the fluid.
You may want to ask about diuretics if it happens again.

It is often caused by congestive heart disease and it is always very risky putting animals (and people) under when they have a preexisting heart condition.

CHF can be genetic. Burmese cats and siamese like cats are geneticly predisposed to heart issues unfortunatly it seems.
She said his lung cavity was completely full of fluid and blood. There was so much fluid in there that it pushed one of his lungs to the other side. This was his xray, they should be black. She said the grey was all fluid and blood
IMG_7096.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Such a handsome boy he was, is, and aIways wiII be. I am so very, very sorry for your Ioss. Remember this...you did your best for him, as did the vet. With extreme fIuid buiId-up, sometimes manuaI draining is necessary, regardIess of risk. There is not time to try diuretics. And I speak as a human who underwent manuaI draining due to CHF. Now, I'm on meds, but...it was a dangerous procedure, regardIess. You did the right thing...you went for his onIy chance. You both tried. Rest easy on this. And he KNOWS how hard you tried for him. Your Iove waIked with him to the Gate between this Adventure and his Next Great Adventure and stayed by his side to guide his way. Now, from his home in That PIace Where AII Things Are Known, he bIesses you, and he sends his own Iove, transIated and purified into Love, back to waIk beside you down through aII of your days. Because Love abides. AIways, forever, Love abides.

When you are up to it, have a frank discussion with your vet, especiaIIy if your surviving cat is the same breed, about earIy signs of CHF in cats. Forewarned is forearmed. My heart with yours.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot I want to say to you but the most important thing for you to know is that this was not your fault.

My heart also goes out to you for your loss and your surviving wee ones - they grieve too.

I also understand your fear for the other kitties. (I have three others - two survivors are my lost babies siblings. I worry for them.)

When something happens so quickly and there isn't the proper time to assimilate it - I think it makes it that much worse in some ways. We end up searching for answers we may never find. I think for some, like you and myself included, it's part of the grieving process.

The "what ifs" are hard when it's sudden and there is no solid understanding to what happened, or why, but the one thing you do need to take off your shoulders- and I hope you do - is any blame on yourself. You did the best thing you could for him - you took him to the Doctors.

I agree 100% with you. This wasn't fair to you or your kitty. Especially for one so young.It is traumatizing and no doubt you are in shock. This will sound weird, but drink water. You will get dehydrated from the shock of it all and the lost water from the amount of tears I am certain you are shedding right now.

I can promise you that you are not as alone as you feel too. Many of the people on this site know your pain. You are in good company.

I'm sure too that I'm not alone in wishing I could give you the biggest hug right now.

He was a beautiful boy - and obviously loved. I didn't see, or maybe it was said and I missed it.... What was your lovely souls name? (If you want to share it.)

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a lot I want to say to you but the most important thing for you to know is that this was not your fault.

My heart also goes out to you for your loss and your surviving wee ones - they grieve too.

I also understand your fear for the other kitties. (I have three others - two survivors are my lost babies siblings. I worry for them.)

When something happens so quickly and there isn't the proper time to assimilate it - I think it makes it that much worse in some ways. We end up searching for answers we may never find. I think for some, like you and myself included, it's part of the grieving process.

The "what ifs" are hard when it's sudden and there is no solid understanding to what happened, or why, but the one thing you do need to take off your shoulders- and I hope you do - is any blame on yourself. You did the best thing you could for him - you took him to the Doctors.

I agree 100% with you. This wasn't fair to you or your kitty. Especially for one so young.It is traumatizing and no doubt you are in shock. This will sound weird, but drink water. You will get dehydrated from the shock of it all and the lost water from the amount of tears I am certain you are shedding right now.

I can promise you that you are not as alone as you feel too. Many of the people on this site know your pain. You are in good company.

I'm sure too that I'm not alone in wishing I could give you the biggest hug right now.

He was a beautiful boy - and obviously loved. I didn't see, or maybe it was said and I missed it.... What was your lovely souls name? (If you want to share it.)

XOXOXOXOXOXO
Thank you so much for your kind words

I am having so many what ifs and doubts right now and it hurts my heart. But I know we did the best for him and I hope they subside over time

His name was Presley. 🥰 My sweet sweet boy.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Such a handsome boy he was, is, and aIways wiII be. I am so very, very sorry for your Ioss. Remember this...you did your best for him, as did the vet. With extreme fIuid buiId-up, sometimes manuaI draining is necessary, regardIess of risk. There is not time to try diuretics. And I speak as a human who underwent manuaI draining due to CHF. Now, I'm on meds, but...it was a dangerous procedure, regardIess. You did the right thing...you went for his onIy chance. You both tried. Rest easy on this. And he KNOWS how hard you tried for him. Your Iove waIked with him to the Gate between this Adventure and his Next Great Adventure and stayed by his side to guide his way. Now, from his home in That PIace Where AII Things Are Known, he bIesses you, and he sends his own Iove, transIated and purified into Love, back to waIk beside you down through aII of your days. Because Love abides. AIways, forever, Love abides.

When you are up to it, have a frank discussion with your vet, especiaIIy if your surviving cat is the same breed, about earIy signs of CHF in cats. Forewarned is forearmed. My heart with yours.
Thank you for your support. It means a lot. I do plan to talk to the vet about his brother. The vet had wanted to drain the fluid so she could check his heart to see if it was CHF but we didn’t make it that far 😕

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks so supremely happy in the pics you have posted of him. You clearly gave him a wonderful life and I hope that you can take some comfort in that.
Thank you. He was such a good boy. He definitely stamped his paws on my heart

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you.....it is just too much for us to understand why one of our loved ones is taken at such a young age, it is another example of a cat hiding any problems so well. Did he do any coughing? I had a cat with CHF and he coughed quite a bit because of the liquid. They put him on Lasix. It may be something to watch for in the brother if it is congenital. a simple x-ray should be able to diagnose, much cheaper than an MRI. I really think it was his time and there was little to be done. I am so sorry.....
Remember love is spiritual, so eternal. His love will forever be tied to your soul, he will live on through you now. He would never want you to be so sad, go forward into the future and live it as you would want for him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less.
This is something that you will never forget, but somehow you will muddle through. There are no instructions on how to grieve, each and every one of us somehow finds the strength to go on. It DOES get better, in the far future your grief will turn to gratitude for knowing him and having him in your life. I hope you can take comfort in knowing he did not suffer, and that he is at peace because he carries yoru love. You will always be with him. So for now, just take one day at a time, love that precious brother who misses his sibling too, and know that no matter what you gave him what he wanted most in this world, a family to love.........RIP precious Presley. You will always be remembered, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you.....it is just too much for us to understand why one of our loved ones is taken at such a young age, it is another example of a cat hiding any problems so well. Did he do any coughing? I had a cat with CHF and he coughed quite a bit because of the liquid. They put him on Lasix. It may be something to watch for in the brother if it is congenital. a simple x-ray should be able to diagnose, much cheaper than an MRI. I really think it was his time and there was little to be done. I am so sorry.....
Remember love is spiritual, so eternal. His love will forever be tied to your soul, he will live on through you now. He would never want you to be so sad, go forward into the future and live it as you would want for him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less.
This is something that you will never forget, but somehow you will muddle through. There are no instructions on how to grieve, each and every one of us somehow finds the strength to go on. It DOES get better, in the far future your grief will turn to gratitude for knowing him and having him in your life. I hope you can take comfort in knowing he did not suffer, and that he is at peace because he carries yoru love. You will always be with him. So for now, just take one day at a time, love that precious brother who misses his sibling too, and know that no matter what you gave him what he wanted most in this world, a family to love.........RIP precious Presley. You will always be remembered, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!
Thank you ❤‍🩹 no coughing no sneezing, nothing. He was still eating and running around with the others playing. I keep thinking back to wonder if I missed something. I have an appt for his brother in a few weeks and I’ll ask the vet what type of testing would be recommended