Unexpected Cat Arrival Handling

masolimano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello community! I need urgent advice with a cat situation. A new cat has arrived home but the old ones won't accept him!

Some background: I live with two cats and 4 humans in a big house (around 150 square mts) with a big garden in a suburban area.
Eño: She is a 13-year-old short-haired female cat. We rescued her when a kitten. She is very human friendly but a bit of a nervous kind. Very shy and afraid of other cats or animals. Does not like outoors a lot. Weights about 3.8 kg

Mineh: He is a 12-year-old long-haired male cat. We rescued him after a car hit when he was young (max. 1 year) While extremely fluffy and cute, can be a little grumpy especially to other cats. Loves to chase Eño all over the place, a game that she doesn't enjoy too much. He weights 4.2 kg.

The situation:
A young black (max 3 year-old) cat appeared at the kitchen window two weeks ago, asking to get in. At first we ignored him, but he kept showing up during three days. In virtue of its good health condition it was obviously a lost/escaped/abandoned cat. We asked the whole neighbourhood, but no one recognized him. We then started to feed him, always keeping him outside. But Mineh and Eño hate him. Mineh even attacked him in a very loud and dramatic way. The figth didn't end too well for my cat, he returned with wounds in his face and ears and hair pullouts. The new one is much stronger and heavy-built. Weights around 5 kg.
We've trying to find him a new home, via Facebook Groups and friends/family networks, without success. Apparently, nobody wants to adopt an adult cat :c.
We took him to the vet to get his vaccines. But we haven't neutered him yet.
Now, I would love to adopt him but I believe an integration with my cats would be very difficult. We are going in a full-month vacation this July and hence won't have time to handle this process properly. We don't even have a spare room to introduce him the way is recommended in this forum.

I address you in search of advice because I don't have a remote clue of what to do next.
Also, should we castrate him right away even if we cannot have him inside for proper after-surgery care?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fight probably set them back a bit but neutering him will help greatly. It takes a few weeks for the hormones to leave their systems so give it time. I would also have him tested for FIV and FeLV ASAP and then your cat as well as fighting is a very good way to pass it from cat to cat. I would NOT let them interact until the test is done.

Also... You could also borrow a dog crate to keep him in while he is recovering from neuter. At least overnight.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It takes next to no time for a cat to recover from neutering. Ideally, he’d spend the 24 hours afterwards in a protected place. There are not even stitches to take out, I think they close the (tiny) incision with glue. I would get it done ASAP, your cats might accept him better after that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: If you are certain he is a stray, I would get him neutered before you go on vacation. Male cats recover very quickly from neutering, and once the hormones are out of his system, that should help keep him from wanting to get into fights.

Are you boarding your cats while you're away? Or is someone coming to feed them. If they are coming to feed them, can they also put food out for the stray. Then maybe when you get back at the end of July, you can consider introducing the stray to your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

masolimano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Thank you for your replies!
Are you boarding your cats while you're away? Or is someone coming to feed them.
Sadly we cannot take the cats with us. But they'll have a known and reliable cat sitter who is already aware of the situation. She was instructed to keep the residents and the new cat separated.

It takes next to no time for a cat to recover from neutering. Ideally, he’d spend the 24 hours afterwards in a protected place.
These are good news. We neutered Mineh so long ago I didn't remember.
So, my plan is to neuter the stray cat today or tomorrow and maybe build a cardboard shelter for him to feel protected.
If we cannot find him a new home by then, we will do our best to introduce him to the other cats once we're back from vacation.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!