Ugh!! I'm So Annoyed!!!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently, there was a hit and run that occurred about a week ago, and a witness took down the (incorrect) license plate number of the car that fled the scene. Well, an investigator with an insurance company traced the license plate number back to me, or rather my mother. She is technically the owner of the vehicle that I drive, but she gave it to me to drive when she got a new one. So, I was at work when they called her. She told me about the conversation. He was asking her all kinds of annoying questions and then wanted to talk to me, since I am the one that drives the vehicle now (I guess she told them this).

We were together all day on the day that they told her the accident happened and not remotely close to the town 20 miles away where it happened. The only time we left the house was to go have lunch at a restaurant about 5 minutes from where we live. Also the car that he told her was involved was a red car. I drive a white van and have never owned a red car! Even though she told them ALL of this, the rather rude investigator told her that he was going to call back, and he has--three more times. We just ignore the calls, but I don't know if this creep is going to try to involve the police or something. I don't think this is a scam since the caller ID actually shows the name of the insurance company when they call. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Surprisingly, something similar happened to me a few years ago. A lady was hitting her her son in a store parking lot. Someone took down the license plate number, and (you guessed it!), it was traced back to me. I had just gotten home from work when the police showed up at my front door. I did not have a son, and my car did not match the description of the car they were looking for (just the license plate did), so they were quickly on their way. However, I have some VERY nosy neighbors who were all gathered in their front yards watching everything--not even trying to be discreet. It was kind of humiliating.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems to me these ''investigators'' get glommed onto something or someone, & they will railroad everything to fit with their pre-conceived idea, no matter what proof a person has otherwise. I hope they get off your back, & out of your life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems to me these ''investigators'' get glommed onto something or someone, & they will railroad everything to fit with their pre-conceived idea, no matter what proof a person has otherwise. I hope they get off your back, & out of your life!
Thanks! I hope so too!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder whether you should be calling the police and asking them to clear it up? {Note: I am not advising this. I'm just wondering!}

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not sure if the police would even get involved in a minor incident like this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I'd answer the phone and ask to record the conversation. If they say no, then tell them that any further contact will result in you reporting them for harassment as they've already been told you weren't involved. If they say yes, explain exactly what you have outlined here in very concise bullet points and don't give them a chance to respond. Then (very politely but firmly) inform them that further harassment on the issue will result in you filing charges of harassment against their company. You don't have to follow through but sometimes you have to fake companies like that out to get them to back down.

I am not a lawyer and I don't guarantee the legality of my advice in your area. But I did the same with an ex who wouldn't stop calling me (without explaining the situation obviously) and the threat got him to stop calling me.