Twyla’s vet checkup

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just got back from Twyla’s geriatric mid-year checkup and would like to get some input on her results. At her last checkup six months ago she was diagnosed as obese and possibly pre-diabetic. Her SDMA was 11 and T4 was 1.9, all within normal range. She has been on a diet for six months, gradually reducing her calories from around 250 to 200 a day and transitioning to a high protein wet food diet with minimal dry food. She weighed 14.1 lbs at her last checkup and has lost two pounds, levelling off at 12 pounds about two months ago. She is also on an asthma inhaler and has been asymptomatic for the past three months.

Today her blood pressure was normal but the vet wanted to run a couple of basic blood tests because of the weight loss (even though it was the hoped for outcome), some evidence of muscle loss and physical exam of her thyroid glands, one of which is slightly enlarged. Her T4 was up to 3.1 and her SDMA shot up from 11 to 23! A full panel was not run so I don’t know if there were changes to her CREA and BUN. I was shocked at the results but the vet said that since she was acting normally, had a healthy appetite,and no obvious symptoms that I should just observe her and monitor her weight, water intake and for any other signs that she wasn’t feeling well.

Does this seem like an appropriate plan? Twyla is somewhere around 14 years of age so is definitely at the age where health issues can pop up. I was just a little shocked at today’s results and just not sure what to think.

For the record, I have previously had both a CKD cat and a hyperthyroid cat, so I know what to expect if either of these conditions develop.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The T4 is not that bad, tbh. Feeby (17+ yo) is hyperthyroidic and right now we are OK with her last T4 being at 3.4, with H-T meds.

I know too little about what might impact the SDMA. That might be where you would want to put some effort into research. I do know some vets don't seem to think much of the SDMA in terms of 'meaningfulness'. I also know that weight/muscle mass loss is not supposed to have any bearing on the SDMA. But that change is a big jump - it almost seems like there must be other factors affecting it.

Muscle mass loss is common in cats as they age, so hopefully that is what is being seen with Twyla. Losing weight, which I understand was needed, probably just attributes to that generally speaking.

Overall, I think monitoring her for now is not such a bad idea. If you are uncomfortable with going this route too long, get the full panel blood work done. Feeby has been getting those tests run every 6 months as standard procedure since she was 10 (she had them more frequently right after she started H-T meds about 1 1/2 years ago, of course). Maybe the SDMA should be run again when you have the full panel done??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. The T4 is not that bad, tbh. Feeby (17+ yo) is hyperthyroidic and right now we are OK with her last T4 being at 3.4, with H-T meds.

I know too little about what might impact the SDMA. That might be where you would want to put some effort into research. I do know some vets don't seem to think much of the SDMA in terms of 'meaningfulness'. I also know that weight/muscle mass loss is not supposed to have any bearing on the SDMA. But that change is a big jump - it almost seems like there must be other factors affecting it.

Muscle mass loss is common in cats as they age, so hopefully that is what is being seen with Twyla. Losing weight, which I understand was needed, probably just attributes to that generally speaking.

Overall, I think monitoring her for now is not such a bad idea. If you are uncomfortable with going this route too long, get the full panel blood work done. Feeby has been getting those tests run every 6 months as standard procedure since she was 10 (she had them more frequently right after she started H-T meds about 1 1/2 years ago, of course). Maybe the SDMA should be run again when you have the full panel done??
Thank you for your thoughts. It’s all confusing. I did a little research and both diabetes and hyperthyroidism (neither of which she has been diagnosed with) can contribute to muscle loss as can old age. And while I go on the premise that she is almost 14 she could actually be at least a year older so muscle loss wouldn’t be that uncommon, nor would some early kidney disease. I guess I was just expecting a clean bill of health because she has been able to be more active and playful since losing weight. For now I am planning to observe and weigh her every three weeks or so. If her weight declines or she shows other symptoms I will take her in for a full blood panel. She has been getting six month geriatric checkups regularly for a couple of years now. When I first got her (four years ago) she weighed ten pounds and was healthy but I have no intention to lower her weight further.