Two week old cat without mother constipated?

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been feeding the kitty with kitty milk formula and changed into a better one but ever since then he hasn’t pooped I don’t know if it is connected. He is drinking it fine but keeps waking up and asking for more milk.
It has been almost two days we already tried massaging but he is so uncomfortable when we do it longer than a minute. We tried diluting the formula a bit but I am scared of diluting it too much.
Is it okay to use one or two drops of olive oil into formula?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you toileting him? Baby kittens and puppies can't toilet themselves. The mother makes her baby toilet by licking their rectum and genitals. You can stimulate this with a warm, damp tissue or soft cloth.

Make sure the formula isn't too strong, and try weakening it a little but not too much as this can cause diarrhoea.

I would also suggest that you take him to a vet to get him checked out, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you toileting him? Baby kittens and puppies can't toilet themselves. The mother makes her baby toilet by licking their rectum and genitals. You can stimulate this with a warm, damp tissue or soft cloth.

Make sure the formula isn't too strong, and try weakening it a little but not too much as this can cause diarrhoea.

I would also suggest that you take him to a vet to get him checked out, just in case.
yes we are. He is peeing just fine but hasn’t pooped. is it normal for two week old kittens to not poop for almost two days?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say no. Vet check as soon as possible IMO, just because he is so little and fragile. Hope all goes well and best of luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s probably the change in formula. Just add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. He should go soon. It’s not an emergency.

A vet would give an enema or tell you to use Miralax. You can also buy glycerin suppositories, shave off a tiny piece and insert it. This will usually bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes.

Is the kitten gaining weight daily? How much and how often are you feeding?

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s probably the change in formula. Just add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. He should go soon. It’s not an emergency.

A vet would give an enema or tell you to use Miralax. You can also buy glycerin suppositories, shave off a tiny piece and insert it. This will usually bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes.

Is the kitten gaining weight daily? How much and how often are you feeding?
Thanks for the reply! We are thinking of bringing him to the vet because I don’t know what to do for certain and at this point I am not sure if I am trying things correctly. I tried adding olive oil to his OLD formula that we got a week ago even though it is worse by looks (it doesn’t dissolve well in water and clumps at bottom meanwhile new one doesn’t. I don’t even know if that means new one is better. I tried searching for that but couldn’t find many results)
I try feeding him once in 3-4 hours but sometimes he wakes up sooner and yells while trying to suckle so I give him his milk anyway. I can’t tell if he is gaining weight as I don’t have a way to measure him. He did feel a bit smaller today but I can’t be sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which brand formula are you using?

Can you buy an electronic kitchen scale that weighs in grams and ounces? It is much better to weigh daily, and the kitten should gain 6-10 grams minimum daily. Walmart has inexpensive scales.

A 2-week-old kitten needs to eat every 2 hours. Also, the amount to feed is based on weight, so another good reason to have a scale and weigh daily.

A vet visit is a good idea!

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which brand formula are you using?

Can you buy an electronic kitchen scale that weighs in grams and ounces? It is much better to weigh daily, and the kitten should gain 6-10 grams minimum daily. Walmart has inexpensive scales.

A 2-week-old kitten needs to eat every 2 hours. Also, the amount to feed is based on weight, so another good reason to have a scale and weigh daily.

A vet visit is a good idea!
I don’t live in US or UK and some places can be closed on weekends due to covid but I will try to look for kitchen scales if I can.

We had him weighed by a vet last week and he was about 280 grams.